Scientific Investigator - Infectious Disease Immunologist
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Oct 1 2020
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientific Investigatorto work on new treatments to address the threat ofinfectious diseases by joining our growing Medicine Opportunities Research Unit (RU) focused on Infectious Diseases at Upper Providence, PA. The Medicine Opportunities Research Unit is one of the 4 Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23&Me.
This position functions within Medicine Opportunities Research Unit and supports target discovery through to candidate selection and early clinical development, along with nonclinical biology work for Phase 2 program for Hepatitis B virus (HBV). The successful candidate will be responsible for running and leading preclinical in vitro/ in vivo studies aimed at exploring the HBV specific immune responses, delivering a preclinical data package for validating immunomodulator(s) for cure of chronic hepatitis B infection, and validating immunological biomarkers to predict a functional cure. The successful candidate will be designing, conducting, supervising ex vivo and in vivo experiments internally and/or through external collaboration or CRO research.
Job Purpose and Key Responsibilities:
- Define, design, and perform experiments using preclinical models to evaluate immunomodulators to treat Chronic Hepatitis B patients (CHB).
- Provide scientific insights on immunological tolerance and exhaustion associated with CHB and other viral-induced pathways to support GSK's drug discovery portfolio.
- As a technical expert in viral immunology, maintain knowledge of relevant literature, and effective incorporation of the knowledge and technology to positively impact the project.
- Develop methods to examine the association of inflammation, immune exhaustion and chronic viral disease.
- Clear communication of study results and impact in written form and at internal and external meetings.
- Effectively resolve scientific and technical challenges using knowledge and subject matter expertise/experience to enable program progression.
- Accountable for conducting experiments and recording protocols and results in electronic laboratory notebooks
- Accountable for delivery/reporting of experimental results in accordance with business objectives and timelines
- Ensure scientific accuracy, integrity, and robustness of the data collected as well as the conclusions derived
- Accountable for own safety, safety of the team, and welfare of animals
- With support from management, accountable for your own continued development as a drug discovery scientist
- Work and behave in compliance with GSK values and code of conduct at all times
- Recommend and execute appropriate assays, animal models, and study designs to team
- Demonstrate ownership of data
- Prioritize tasks and support others to contribute to delivery of medicines in accordance with objectives and timelines
- Strive to develop self and support others in the team to develop
- MS, or PhD degree in Infectious disease with a focus on immunity or related area
- At least 8-10 years of research experience either in industry or an academic environment.
- Ability to lead scientists in a matrix environment to complete a broader study.
- Exposure to a range of immunological techniques covering immunoinflammation, exhaustion associated with chronic viral disease.
- Experience and expertise running ex vivo analysis on in vivo samples such as flow cytometry, qPCR, ELISA and other end point analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in multiple in in vitro and in vivo assays to probe disease relevant mechanisms for immune aspects associated with HBV
- Experience leading in vivo studies including surgery, efficacy studies, model development, bioimaging and literature review
- Ability to translate hypotheses to in vivo study design through independent working and/or with supervision
- The individual should have evidence of recent learning on the job and application of their new skill.
- Good graphing and statistical analysis skills including use of GraphPad Prism.
- Publication track record consistent with years of experience
- Industry drug discovery experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and maintaining laboratory notebooks
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills
About R&D at GSK:
Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK continues to invest in and optimize R&D activities and has an established history of delivering medicines that can change the lives of people suffering from a range of diseases. With the huge unmet medical needs in many areas of human health, GSK works to provide medicines for devastating diseases. The research unit is predominantly located at our US research hub in Collegeville, PA site in the suburbs of Philadelphia.
Positions are immediately available for passionate and innovative scientists to enable the development of future transformational medicines that can impact the lives of people. Whatever your level of experience or academic or industrial background we are interested in hearing from scientists who thrive in working in a dynamic team environment to integrate basic and clinical science opportunities to advance the translation of biological knowledge into future game changing therapies.
This advertisement is specifically for a Biologist with in vivo experience but details of other opportunities within GSK R&D are available on www.gsk.com/careers .
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top