Scientific Director, Virology and Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Biology
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Oct 12 2020
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientific Director to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Medicine Opportunities Research Unit (RU) focused on Infectious Diseases at Upper Providence, PA. The Medicine Opportunities Research Unit is one of the 4 Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23&Me.
In this Scientific Director role you will assume immediate responsibility for an existing and growing biology team in and work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with scientists across the Research Unit and the broader R&D organization.Your demonstrated expertise in virology coupled with an understanding of host targets and immune response will enable you and the team to innovative approaches to identify and validate a strategy for a functional cure of HBV and delivery of novel therapeutics for unmet virus-mediated infectious diseases.
As a leader you will be expected to interact productively and in an enterprise fashion with teams across the Research Unit as well as with partners in Human Genetics, Functional Genomics and Molecular Design teams at GSK. The role will also involve establishing external collaborations and representing the organization externally in this field. To this end you will need to be a strong communicator and able to work and drive positive collaborative interactions with your peers and encourage similar behaviors in your team.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include the following...
- Lead and manage a team working on target identification and validation efforts in the virology and HBV biology space
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction and goals of the group
- Participate in the evaluation of novel targets emerging from potential collaborations
- Build and foster relationships across groups in the research unit, contributing to projects and peer review when required.
- Build a network of academic key opinion leaders in the HBV and infectious disease space
- Responsible for ensuring quality, consistency and best practice within reporting line
- Accountable for scientific development and mentoring of scientists within reporting line
- Fostering a culture of scientific rigor and continuous improvement in line with the Innovation Performance and Trust (IPT) strategy at GSK
- Ensure compliance with GSK values and policies.
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Infectious Disease, with a preference toward virology or related discipline
- Experience managing a team of 3 to 5 full-time scientists, including PhD level scientists, supporting multiple projects and fostering a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance and trust.
- Subject matter expert in HBV and an understanding of how HBV escapes the host immune response
- Experience in identifying and advancing preclinical targets, performing peer review and engaging internal and external partners.
- Experience applying innovative approaches in drug discovery using novel techniques for smart risk taking.
Preferred Qualifications: Having the following characteristics would be advantageous to the role:
- Demonstrated understanding of the drug discovery process, including the ability to outline a progression path with clear decision-making criteria.
- Ability to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance and trust.
- Capable of leading and developing a team of biologists with a breadth in skills (such as molecular/cell biology, biochemistry, gene editing, cell culture, iPSC differentiation , in vivo model systems, and in vitro/ex vivo translational studies).
- Experience in making decisions around the progression of novel targets and molecules by integrating biology with clinical need and feasibility, competition, commercial opportunity, and return on investment.
- Existing network of academic collaborators and CROs.
- Strong self-motivation; capable of multi-tasking but with attention to detail, working on multiple projects in different phases of research, and delivering on objectives on time/on budget.
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top