Product Director, AI Operations
- San Francisco, CA
Site Name: USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Feb 18 2020
Are you excited about leading DataOps work that creates half of the heart of R&D's new intellectual property at GSK ? GSK is seeking an accomplished and talented technology leader to incubate our first team in San Francisco. If your interests are at the intersection of AI/ML platforms, Data Engineering, Pharma R&D discovery, working with world-renowned researchers and data scientists, and creating talented teams, let's chat.
The Product Director, AI Operations will fulfill two primary roles: the creation of a contemporary AI/ML platform on Kubernetes (multi-cloud) and ownership over the supply of data to data scientists. Qualified applicants will demonstrate mastery over container platforms, big data ecosystems, streaming data architectures, and live the DataOps manifesto.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Establish a highly talented engineering team alone in the largest and fastest tech labor market in the world
- Talent management and acquisition
- Build one or more cutting edge AI/ML platforms to serve 1,000s of data scientists, bio statisticians, and
- computational chemists / biologists in R&D
- Liaise with the rest of R&D Tech and the Core Tech teams to deliver solutions quickly to data scientists on pre-builtplatforms / PaaS
- Be a thought leader on containerized AI platforms for the company
- Lead the DataOps team to access, source, cleanse, merge, ETL, and possibly re-model data from 1,000s of data sources both internal and external to GSK.
- Provide polyglot data structure architectures including property graph, knowledge graph, relational, object, and inverse index; selecting and sourcing the appropriate data sinks as needed by our customers.
- Demonstrate internal and industry presence: ability to speak at conferences, contact senior leaders in vendor companies, and collaborate with GSK partners and collaborators
- Model our GSK culture, our company's DNS, for the incubating team
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree - Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Minimum of 5 years of at least 70% full time software development experience as an individual contributor
- 5 years in Technology Management is required
- Minimum of 2 years working on big data platforms
- Must have a successful track record of tactical execution in fast paced development environments
- Must have a history of providing vision and leadership
- Demonstrates expertise with: container platforms, their gaps, and pros and cons of various cloud and on-prem big data platforms
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Relevant Master's degree or higher - Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Familiarity with life science and/or healthcare data models, particularly biomedical and omics data strongly preferred
- Start-up experience strongly preferred
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top