Site Name: UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: Mar 16 2021
Principal Machine Learning Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to join a passionate team working to support GSK Consumer Healthcare in its journey to drive and define consumer healthcare in the digital age. AI is a key tenet underpinning our transformation journey following the joint venture with Pfizer and our plan to list as a separate company next year. As a leader, you will be critical to our success.
GSK Consumer Healthcare is global , and as such we have access to hundreds of data sets where your skills can make a difference. Effective, innovative, scalable and productionised marketing is key to the success of our business. We are looking for candidates who can use their knowledge and creativity to make a meaningful impact. The scale of the challenges you will face are global, and the solutions will be too.
Our organisation is undergoing agile transformation. This role is ideal for a person who can provide leadership and vision to transform the organisation into a product and value-led mindset. You will be confident in working in partnership with senior stakeholders from across the business. You will use your extensive scientific background to discover business value across our extensive data landscape.
This is a unique opportunity will work alongside a team of highly skilled Data Scientists & Engineers to lead the transformation of engineering to support initiatives . You will be supporting the exploration of cutting edge ML techniques in the marketing and digital-marketing space to discover patterns and predictions to help solve customer needs. You will help lead complex and diverse projects to leverage Data Science techniques which will result in measurable commercial benefit.
You will also have the opportunity to help build our wider data science community, as we invest in academic partnerships, mentor and apprenticeship schemes. You will be seen as a leader in the machine learning engineering discipline and your thought leadership will command attention in the wider data science community. GSK has long supported the development of its employees and you will be supported to grow and progress in your career.
You will also be excited to champion our Data for Good agenda through sustainable projects and company supported pro-bono charity work. Data ethics are important to us and we are looking for candidates who feel the same way.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
People & Team Management
- Contribute to hiring and building a great pool of Data Scientists and Engineers for your team and support the recruitment activities of other data functions
- Motivate, inspire, coach, mentor colleagues within the Data Science team to help them develop technical excellence
- Motivate, inspire, coach, mentor business partners and stakeholders to help them identify new transformational possibilities that Data Science enables
- Define clear objectives for each individual you manage
- Ensure each individual you manage has a personal development plan and regularly proactively works on it .
- Support and manage the future shape of the ML engineering team.
- Contribute to all aspects of the Data Science Project Lifecycle , with a focus on scalable operation and productionisation .
- Can coordinate and manage competing priorities across a portfolio of projects
- Provide leadership and guidance on the development and monitoring of ongoing data engineering pipelines and the delivery of ML models from prototypes to production.
- Own and define the key performance indicators (KPIs) and diagnostics to measure performance against business goals
- Ability to influence across organisations, proven collaboration skills, comfortable working with ambiguity, ability to make quick, informed decisions taking into account trade-offs.
- Compile, integrate, and analyse data from multiple sources to enable the data scientists to answer business questions
- Can conceptualize, formulate, prototype and implement ML pipelines to capture customer behaviour and solve business problems
- Proven extensive experience developing and implementing Machine Learning engineering pipelines on large data sets
- Be an expert in data modelling and data architecture on complex data sets using SQL, Hadoop, NoSQL and Spark or other distributed computed systems.
- Have a good working knowledge cloud based and local data science frameworks and toolkits.
- Are experienced in Agile methodologies and the hypothesis-driven approach
- Have a deep knowledge of a sufficiently broad area of technical specialism in ML engineering methodology and best practices and are a valued and trusted expert
- Have a practical experience product ionising machine learning, Deep Learning and natural language understanding/processing models
- Experience with Cuda , pyTorch or TensorFlow and Azure
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before the 31st March 2021 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.