Principal Engineer, AI Ops
- San Francisco, CA
Site Name: USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Oct 6 2020
Are you excited about working with bleeding-edge technology and building platforms and systems that have profound global business impacts? If your interests are at the intersection of AI/ML platforms, Data Engineering, Pharma R&D discovery, and working with world-renowned researchers and data scientists, then read on for an exciting new opportunity at GSK!
The Principal Engineer, AI Ops will use modern big data technologies to help accelerate drug discovery at GSK by fulfilling the following critical duties: Work on the flow and supply of data used by GSK's world class scientists and AI/ML engineers, and contribute to a team that will build and operate a knowledge graph to be used as a source of scientific truth by scientists and computational biologists for gene to disease mapping and pharmacological discovery.
The person in this role will maintain the flow of data from source systems (RDBMS, unstructured) into the knowledge graph and other stores, build processes that query the graph, and maintain APIs that serve end scientific users, and maintain and monitor these systems in a secure, mission critical environment.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Build one or more cutting edge AI/ML platforms to serve 1,000s of scientists, bio statisticians, and computational chemists / biologists in R&D
- Liaise with the rest of R&D Tech and the Core Tech teams to deliver solutions quickly to data scientists on pre-builtplatforms / PaaS
- Access, source, cleanse, merge, ETL, and possibly re-model data from 1,000s of data sources both internal and external to GSK.
- Contribute to polyglot data structure architectures including property graph, knowledge graph, relational, object, and inverse index; researching the appropriate data sinks as needed by our customers.
- Contribute to the team's overall knowledge by attending conferences, meetups, and contributing with new technologies and approaches
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree - Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Minimum 5 years as a full-time software engineer with experience in the data engineering domain
- Expert with JVM languages: Scala and/or Java with a focus on functional programming
- Minimum 2 years working on big data platforms, preferably Spark
- Experience with data stores including RDBMS/NoSQL/HDFS/Object store
- Minimum 3 years deploying solutions on cloud platforms, preferably Azure and GCP
- Professional DevOps experience: Jenkins, Azure DevOps, CI/CD, Junit, Scalatest
- Infrastructure as code technologies: Terraform, Ansible, Cloud templates (Azure, GCP)
- Container technologies: Kubernetes, Helm, Docker
- Experience maintaining production applications
- Logging, tracing, and application monitoring
- Experience building and maintaining APIs
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Knowledge and property graph technologies: RDF, RDFS, OWL, SPARQL, Cypher, Tinkerpop, Gremlin, and others
- Graph algorithm knowledge
- Streaming data experience with technologies like Apache Kafka
- Familiarity with life sciences and/or healthcare data models, particularly biomedical and omics data strongly preferred
- Experience operating in a highly regulated and secure environment
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top