Principal Development Scientist Wider Americas
- Richmond, VA
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood
Posted Date: Sep 24 2020
The Principal Development Scientist leads new product development by developing formulations and/or providing analysis and evaluation of material and products at all stages of the development process, considering scientific and timing objectives. This individual would have various levels of involvement and leadership in the development of conventional and non-conventional solid, semi-solid, liquid, and other formulations. The Principal Development Scientist will also lead the broader R&D project team through development, scale-up, manufacturing and launch.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Leads multiple projects in support of Brand Innovation strategy. Exercises a wide degree of technical sophistication in accomplishing assigned objectives.
- Designs experiments and carries out scientific work with an awareness of state-of-the-art technology. Creates research plans to fit overall project objectives.
- Ensures all work is conducted in accordance with written procedures (e.g. quality and safety), methods & batch documents, etc.
- Identify, challenge, develop and implement written procedures (e.g. quality and safety)
- methods & batch documents, etc.
- Produces or contributes to, departmental quality documentation (including SOP's, batch documentation, validation protocols & reports).
- Specific safety and quality responsibilities for department and site (e.g. GMP, Audits, Health & Safety).
- Ensures that internal staff are working and maintaining labs in a safe manner and that housekeeping is maintained
- Deliver all EHS standards and expectations on site and within the laboratories
- Works with Outsourcing Leader and/or Senior Development Scientists and contractors to facilitate completion of outsourced support activity
- Drives awareness of scientific literature to assist work progression and understanding.
- Highlights own training needs and working with manager develop a training plan and achieve training goals.
- Trains self and others in new technology and laboratory responsibilities (including coaching, mentoring and elements of personal development).
- Lead a development team for technical guidance, mentoring, performance, and hiring of key talent to support the needs of the business
- Deepens and expands knowledge of regulations impacting areas of work (e.g. EP/USP/ICH)
- Collaborates strongly within cross-functional partners to deliver innovation programs
Consumer and Customer-Obsessed
- Engages in consumer engagement research to understand the category and needs
- Leads consumer-driven innovation development with Consumer Understanding and Sensory scientists
- Maintains precise experimental records; issues report at project milestones; writes invention records to protect scientific discoveries.
- Ensures that team is highly motivated. Encourages presentation of work and participation in events for professional exposure and to promote presence and pride in CHR&D. Timely recognition of accomplishments and excellence in job performance, development opportunities, etc.
- Ensures all work is always conducted following good scientific practice and Good Manufacturing Practice (where required).
- Flexes priorities to remain focused on objectives in rapidly changing circumstances.
- Takes responsibility for specific equipment in accordance with site procedures.
- Participates and may lead in general problem solving or lead problem solving initiatives
- May have line management for assigned resources and reviewing performance, etc.
Why you? Basic Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree, with Specialization in Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Nutritional or related science
MS or Ph.D. degree, with Specialization in Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Nutritional or related science
Bachelor's degree and 12 years experience; or Master's Degree and 9 years experience ; or
PhD and 7 years experience
- History of successful formulation and/or product development to launch
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects
- Demonstrate proficiency to connect consumer needs to product development
- Deep Knowledge of R&D development processes and associated commercial environment.
- Clear communicator in both oral and written form with both internal departments and external organisations.
- Proven demonstration to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams, and multitask.
- An ability to organise and report study data from internal and external sources.
- Flair for creativity and innovation
- Understanding of statistics and its application to experimental work.
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese preferred
Why GSK? Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork.
As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top