Physician Geneticist (Director)
- Philadelphia, PA
Are you a physician-scientist, with experience in genetics and translational research? Do you share a desire to elucidate the genetic basis of diseases, advance biological scientific knowledge and drive the discovery and development of new therapeutics? If so, read more about this unique new role .
GSK's ambition is to become the industry leader in genetically validated targets. A dedicated organization, Human Genetics (HG), has been created to achieve this, harnessing recent scientific advancements with a focus on human-derived data and leveraging external partnerships to translate genetic information to high quality targets, ultimately contributing to better medicines with reduced attrition.
Click on the link to the video by Erik Ingelsson, SVP Human Genetics, to learn more about the Human Genetics team -
In this role, you will work collaboratively with scientists in Human Genetics and multiple Research Units to design experiments and clinical studies (recall by genotype studies) which elucidate the function of genetics and shed light on biology contributing to the identification of novel drug targets. You will nurture relationships within the industry and academic community, to develop centers who can complete studies based on genetic information to address drug discovery and development questions.
The combination of your in-depth research experience in genetic and genomic science and your clinical training will lead to the development of ethical and efficient studies in humans which will drive the understanding of the impact of genetic variants in vivo . You will also bring breadth and depth of technical and leadership expertise, to successfully support projects through all phases of drug discovery and development.
The position is based at our R&D hubs in either Collegeville, PA (US) or Stevenage (UK). We welcome all qualified applicants and would be open to consider alternative flexible/remote arrangements, with a commitment to participate in team's activities and/or travel as needed to perform successfully in the role.
This Director level role will provide YOU the opportunity to drive key activities to progress in your career at GSK. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Identify and implement opportunities for genetics-based science to improve GSK target quality and use human genetic evidence to drive decisions on target selection, validation and patient stratification.
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop experiments and study proposals that will elucidate the role of genetic variants in patients of interest that can be efficiently operationalized in specialized settings in the US and Europe.
- Drive the development and execution of collaborations, consortiums and other external relationships focused on the study of the effects of variants in humans.
- Identify opportunities to leverage genetics of rare diseases to identify drug targets or address drug development questions.
- Participate and lead project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
- Be responsible for effective communication of genetic findings, with expert interpretation, to relevant stakeholders and project teams.
- Find creative solutions and work with agility to address challenging scientific questions.
- Contribute to the developing science of drug target identification and validation, providing scientific expertise within Human Genetics and across the Research organization
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Extensive knowledge of (human) genetics and translation into biological function, and ability to apply their experience to drug discovery and development.
- Broad clinical knowledge and use of clinical research to explore biological questions
- A track record of designing clinical studies to elucidate biological knowledge.
- Experience in managing complex scientific activities, anticipating challenges in managing patient recruitment, and ability to anticipate and address compliance and governance requirements.
- Experience in directing external scientific activities.
In addition to the above, the following characteristics would be an advantage:
- MD PhD
- Knowledge and experience in the use of observational data for research
- Translation of rare disease context to common diseases
- Being a subject matter expert in human genetics and applying genetics to drug discovery
- Bringing strong leadership skills demonstrating vision and strategy and effective leadership of change.
- Superior communication skills to have honest, truth seeking conversations, rather than being progression seeking.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top