Patent Counsel, Consumer Healthcare
- Richmond, VA
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood
Posted Date: Jul 31 2020
As Patent Counsel, Consumer Healthcare, you will be responsible for providing quality patent support to the America's R&D hub based in Richmond, VA for GSK Consumer Healthcare business.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Draft and prosecute patent applications, along with patent portfolio management and IP strategy covering potential OTC medicines, cosmetics, vitamins and supplements, personal care products, packaging and devices
- Support R&D investments by identifying relevant third party intellectual property, evaluating risk, and implementing an appropriate strategy to mitigate this risk
- Anticipate and proactively support the prevention and management of legal risks facing the company
- Support the company in litigation efforts in support of the company's position
- Develop and recommend policies and practices on issues presenting potential legal risk
- Draft and negotiate agreements with internal company and external parties
- Conduct or coordinate research on legal issues
- Work with or manage activities of external legal counsel on legal matters before the company
- Review business, scientific, commercial, and sales/marketing documents/communications and advise on appropriate strategy/language to manage risk while maximizing business benefit
- Perform due diligence on proposed business transactions
- Liaise with other departments (e.g. Compliance, Audit and Assurance, Business Development etc.) in coordinating counsel to ensure the integration of the full range of considerations impacting legal recommendations
- Educate client businesses on sound legal practices and new developments impacting the business
- Participate in or lead special projects furthering development and embedding of best practices or expanded legal knowledge
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
U.S. Law Degree (juris doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school) plus admitted to practice in front of the USPTO (USPTO bar admission) and admitted to at least one state bar with 2 to 5 years relevant experience in consumer healthcare, pharmaceutical, and/or consumer products patent practice, including drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications in local and foreign jurisdictions, due diligence, and business development support. Experience as a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office examiner will also be considered.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, or related fields preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating, and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and address issues beyond those raised
- Excellent client management skills and the ability to deal confidently with the client and legal function colleagues
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top