MSL Oncology (Medical Scientific Liaison)
- Kriens, Switzerland
Site Name: Switzerland - Muenchenbuchsee Bern, Switzerland - Field Worker
Posted Date: Oct 25 2019
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical companies. Our powerful combination of skills and resources provides a platform for delivering strong growth and responding quickly to the rapidly changing global healthcare environment. We are focused around 3 core businesses, Consumer Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals and Vaccines, with global commercial infrastructure and functional support, international supply networks and innovative R&D. We have a global commercial presence in more than 150 markets, a network of 84 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centre in the UK, US, Belgium and China.
Oncology is an area of high unmet medical need, providing fertile grounds for rapid growth. The lack of effective therapies for most of the advanced cancers, coupled with substantial progress in basic cancer biology and new technologies, provide unparalleled potential for innovation and transformational science. At GSK, Oncology R&D is focused on building industry-leading portfolios in 3 cutting-edge areas of science: Immuno-Oncology, Cancer Epigenetics, and Cell Therapy.
Our vision is to achieve a long-term leadership position in Oncology by delivering Transformational Medicines that Maximize Patient Survival.
Medical Affairs is a critical bridge between R&D and the commercial organization to ensure that our medicines reach the appropriate patients. GSK has committed to building a new oncology business, with initial focus on selected EU markets. To this end, this is a critical role to ensure oncology resource and activities are aligned and deployed to business priorities in the EU region. Medical needs to build scientific expertise to provide greater insight and significant external presence to support entry in to the highly competitive Oncology space.
For other information, please visit our GSK Career Oncology page:
1. Area covered: French-Italian speaking part: from Fribourg to Neuchatel/Biel, Geneva till Ticino
2. Area covered: German speaking part: from Basel to Bern
The Oncology MSL will be responsible for identifying and developing a deep relationship with the top medical experts and community physicians in their responsible region, insight gathering, pipeline review with HCPs, identifying Investigators and sites for clinical trial participation, recruitment for clinical trials, attending all relevant congresses, organizing advisory boards, training and coaching other MSLs in the execution of field medical responsibilities. Following regulatory and corporate guidelines, as the Oncology MSL you'll ensure execution of activities in support of the functional and departmental program strategy. We'll rely on you to leverage your own strategic skills and understanding of GSK priorities/European Healthcare environment.
- Represent Management during field interactions with Health Care Professionals and support key opinion leader and advocate relationship development and maintenance within the region.
- Drive unwavering compliant work practices
- Support safe and appropriate use of research compounds and products
- Support clinical research programming across the continuum (Investigator sponsored research, Cooperative Group and Collaborator research, Company Sponsored trials)
- Serve as a scientific, clinical, and medical content expert
- Partner within all areas of GMA (e.g. Medical Directors, Medical Communications, Medical Information, Publications, Advocacy)
- Establish and maintain a compliant, supportive partnership with Regional Sales Directors and other counterparts within the Commercial organization
- Provide National Director with regular regional updates, based on output from direct report
- Manage all programs within their designated scope, schedule, and resources
- Develop and execute on strategies that shape the external environment without significant oversight and at a rapid pace.
- Work within matrix teams and have a strong ability to influence and align the team and strategy to seize the opportunities identified with external organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and presentation skills.
- Command respect among senior executives, both inside and outside GSK.
- Identify, consolidate and communicate key insights and subsequently contribute to the translation of these insights into executable and innovative Medical Affairs strategies and plans that clearly define the value of our medicines / products to our customers.
- Identify and engage the external community appropriately in robust scientific dialogue that generates insight and advances scientific and medical understanding as well as secure advice to inform the development of products of value, for the benefit of patients/ consumers.
- Anticipate the changing healthcare, regulatory & competitive environment throughout the product lifespan; delivers innovative strategies to inform evidence-based prescribing/ usage within this environment e.g. new comparator or real-world efficacy data.
- Understand the impact of new data on the value/positioning of products in guidelines/ formularies.
- Accredited doctorate degree in a life-science or basic-science discipline (Pharm.D., D.Sc., D.N.P., Ph.D., or M.D./D.O.)
- Demonstrable experience and success in MSL organizations in therapeutic oncology
- Clear evidence of Oncology experience - preferably within last 2/3 years
- A demonstrated understanding of the European healthcare environment, including knowledge of health technology assessments and market access challenges
- Understanding of Pharmaceutical ethics and governance; and a clear understanding of pharmaceutical compliance policies and procedures
- Basic financial and budget management
- Prior experience with commercial product launches
- Prior experience with commercial and/or government payers
- Prior experience and willingness to travel extensively and globally
- Expert public speaking and written communication skills
- Values based collaborator - respectful and accountable
- Successful and superior influencing skills across all levels of the organization and with external collaborators
- Able to relate and work with a wide range of people to achieve results; able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Problem solving and risk-mitigation skills; strong time management and organizational skills
- Confident, positive attitude, enthusiastic and charismatic
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Skilled in multiple computer-based tools, in addition to software programs such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Fluency in German, English and French or Italian (multilingual person will be highly appreciated)
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, is able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you'll be given the opportunity to:
- Play an important role in delivering our mission
- Be an essential part of a diverse, global team
- Develop others as part of your own professional growth
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top