Microbiology Team Leader - Consumer Healthcare R&D - Richmond VA
- Richmond, VA
Are you looking to take your Microbiology career to the next level? The Microbiology Team Leader could be that next step.
The GSK Consumer Healthcare R&D team supports the development of leading global brands in Consumer Health care.
The Microbiology Team Leader will lead a team of Microbiologists and Senior Microbiologists to deliver data and expertise for R&D projects across POH/OTC categories. The role requires management of junior team members to ensure that Microbiology input in the product development is in line with 'Quality by Design' and relevant regulatory requirements. This position will be charged with building a network of R&D Category, GMS Microbiology, QA, Regulatory, Safety and Pilot plant teams, embedding Microbiology requirements in the product development cycle.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Lead a team of Microbiology experts ensuring adequate and skilled resources are available to support 'on time and in full' delivery for Project pipeline.
- Drive efficiency and productivity of Microbiology operations with adequate tracking and reporting of KPIs to the key stakeholders.
- Run an efficient laboratory operation while ensuring compliance to EHS and Quality standards. Represent Microbiology function in internal and external audits.
- Ensure appropriate Microbiology SOPs utilized in the department which are compliant to GSK policies & procedures as well as external Regulatory requirements.
- Ensure application of robust and valid scientific approaches to all work conducted in internal and external laboratory networks.
- Review quality of Microbiology project reports to ensure appropriateness of specifications and AET results interpretations prior to sharing with the project teams.
- Approve all microbiology documentation submitted for regulatory approval and respond to regulatory queries with appropriate level of technical depth.
- Develop strong collaborative relationship with R&D teams and technical expert network (e.g. Regulatory, Toxicology, Medical) and foster the environment of agility, speed and delivery.
- Ensure Category R&D teams are aware of microbiological issues and risks associated with their products and that these issues are addressed in product development programs. Attend TRB meetings as 'Advisor' when needed.
- Interfacing with GMS Microbiology to implement necessary Microbiology standards and procedures for successful launch and robust products through the lifecycle.
- Utilizes in-depth understanding using root cause analysis to assist in problem solving and prepare and review Technical Readiness Reports ensuring there is adequate data to support decision making.
- Keep current on literature and attend scientific meetings and symposium to ensure Microbiology function remains at leading edge of science, regulatory trends and antimicrobial technologies.
- Create a development focus culture for Microbiology teams and nurture technical expertise and innovation mindset.
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree
- 15 + years experience in R&D Microbiology in sectors such as Pharmaceutical, Consumer health or FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods)
- 5+ years experience leading a team of Microbiologists
- Experience in industrial microbiology with knowledge of antimicrobials & preservatives
- Experience with microbiology testing of cosmetics & OTC products
- Experience working across functional interfaces as well as with external contractors.
- Experience and knowledge of Pharmacopeia and ICH Quality management system standards.
- MS or PhD (biofilms, microbiome, host-microbes interaction, antimicrobials)
- A proven ability to apply effective influencing and negotiating skills
- Demonstrating proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top