Medical Unmet Needs NLP/Text Analytics Analyst (Oncology)
Site Name: USA - North Carolina - Research Triangle Park, USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia
Posted Date: Nov 25 2019
Background: In GSK Medical Affairs, we focus on communicating the science behind our diseases and medicines to help patients, clinicians and healthcare systems make better informed decisions that beneficially impact patients' lives. Patients are at the center of everything that we do, and our objective is to ensure our patients are optimally treated in complex and specialty conditions. To be competitive and deliver the most value, we need to move faster and with more agility and ground all our decisions in data and insights.
The Medical Analytics team you would be joining is a growing team within Medical Affairs. Leaders of the team each have, on average, 15 years of insights/analytics experience from different areas of Pharma and/or across other industries and are bringing this expertise to the table to help build a new foundational capability for GSK Medical Affairs. Join us on the journey!
Job Purpose: The purpose of the Data Scientist - Medical Voice of Customer/Text Analytics role is to analyse customer feedback and perspectives from a variety of sources, translate the unstructured information into actionable insights in combination with other structured data, and identify opportunities for Oncology that will drive data driven decision making within the US business and for US Medical Affairs.
This role will be responsible for building and enhancing capabilities in text analytics and unstructured data analysis for Oncology to maximize potential insights coming from critical customer feedback such as social media perspectives, ad-boards, critical Oncology congresses, online communities, voice of customer feedback through engagement and research, plus more and for influencing appropriate integration with other analyses and for use with strategic planning and at other decision forums.
- Discover customer and patient findings/potential insights using advanced analytics techniques such as natural language processing, text analytics, machine learning, and analytic modeling aligned with and guided by the Medical Affairs business priorities and strategies for Oncology
- Analyse unstructured data from multiple feedback sources including but not limited to Medical voice of customer feedback from customer listening, feedback via surveys and research, forums, online communities, social media/publicly available information, call center voice and email feedback, and other available sources of customer feedback data and information
- Translate unstructured data, in combination with other structured data sources, into actionable insights; Conduct text, sentiment, and root cause analyses to answer critical Medical business questions and produce data-driven stories that reveal key insights into customer and patient experience, needs, and understanding to determine appropriate Medical opportunities.
- Develop broad methodological and approach expertise with unstructured data analytics; Stay on top of the latest external methods and approaches, current and emerging industry trends, and advanced methods/best practices;
- Earn the trust of stakeholder partners through active engagement, demonstrated learning, and business acumen development. Continually seek out and build business knowledge and depth for appropriate business context with analytic recommendations;
- Deliver timely/close to real time strategic, relevant and actionable insights, especially around key events/congresses where our science is shared for leading indicators and actions to maximize opportunities. Lead Voice of the Customer (VoC) analyses leveraging a wide range of analytical and data visualization tools and resources available to uncover and communicate opportunities; Identify early warning signals and opportunities;
- Collect, document, synthesize and organize complex information, making it relevant, understandable and actionable for internal stakeholders; Develop compelling summaries that visualize the data through narrative dashboards to clearly tell a succinct story in easy to understand ways; Focus on the key findings and insights in alignment with stakeholders' goals/business needs with proper validation techniques to build confidence in the results; Craft and tell compelling stories around commonalities and themes found in the VOC data
- Develop in-depth knowledge of Oncology strategies, critical needs, and determine appropriate advanced analytic solutions for more efficient customer focus; Demonstrate analytic curiosity and a desire to understand Medical Affairs challenges to contribute to Matrix Team reviews and strategic discussions through insights discovered.
- Proactively identify opportunities and develop advanced analytics methods aligned with and guided by business unit priorities; Partner with colleagues in Medical Analytics, Global Medical Excellence, and Commercial Insights to ensure appropriate analytics insights are integrated into deliverables for a holistic and comprehensive view; Demonstrate effective communication and drive efficiencies through collaboration and teamwork
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BA/BS in quantitative sciences field or MS in a related field with up to 2 years' experience applying advanced analytics methods to solve critical business challenges/problems and developing recommendations
- Proficiency in Python and/or R, with knowledge of basic libraries for data manipulation, machine learning, natural language processing, and text mining
- Extensive experience with SQL and/or SAS
- Experience applying advanced statistical and database skills to solve business problems
- Understanding of machine learning, supervised and unsupervised modeling techniques, and probabilistic models of complex systems with "big data" sources
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- MA/MS/PhD in quantitative sciences field
- 2+ years of unstructured data analysis/text analytics/natural language processing and/or machine learning application for critical business decisions
- 2+ years of experience in a professional setting with SQL and/or SAS
- 2-5 years (or up to 2 years with advanced degree) professional experience
- Healthcare or life science experience
- Consulting experience preferred
- Strong business acumen; Understanding of the healthcare industry and the evolving and rapidly changing healthcare environment; Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data manipulation methods and quality check approaches to develop a deep understanding of the data assets available for usage in Medical Affairs with advanced analytics methods and applications
- Adept at learning and applying new data, advanced analytics methods and technologies;
- Possess analytic curiosity to seek out and develop potential solutions and drive continuous improvement; motivated by challenging, complex problems
- Ability to evaluate and recommend advanced analytics/machine learning methods appropriate for a business problem
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both oral and written) plus project management skills
- Effectively builds relationships and collaborative partnerships across teams to develop a solution
- Effective at presenting complex, technical information, concepts, and analysis in a compelling and persuasive manner to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work effectively across a matrix environment and influence without formal authority
- The ability to focus and thrive in times of change
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top