Medical Director, Pharma Safety
- Research Triangle Park, NC
Site Name: USA - North Carolina - Research Triangle Park, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Oct 14 2019
Do you want to play a key role in supporting the Central Safety Leadership Team and the broader business at both a strategic and operational level? If so, this role is perfect for you.
ROLE SUMMARY :
- Provides high level medical expertise in the safety evaluation and risk management of key GSK assets or other highly complex products in clinical development and/or the post-marketing setting
- Ensures that adverse event and other safety information is efficiently evaluated in order to meet global compliance and regulatory requirements, identify the need for product labeling updates and drive proactive implementation of risk management initiatives
- Has a proven ability to lead safety evaluation activities, ensures that appropriate safety objectives and risk minimization strategies are included in clinical development programs and shows confidence, credibility and influence at all levels of the organisation
- Presents the disease area or product area safety strategy at key internal GSK meetings and represents GSK externally at meetings with regulatory authorities, outside consultants and other companies such as licensing partners.
- Accountable for medical review and sign-off for regulatory documents, including Periodic Benefit: Risk Evaluation Report (PBRERs)
Safety Governance and Risk Management activities
- Drives pharmacovigilance and risk management planning in the clinical matrix and leads production of global Benefit- Risk Management Plans for designated products
- Leads safety input into regulatory benefit-risk assessments, prepares the regional Risk Management Plans for designated products for submission to regulatory authorities
- Delivers the clinical safety input into clinical development planning activities
- Represents SMG on cross functional Clinical Matrix Teams and/or Project Teams. Leads cross-functional ad hoc teams to address urgent and important product safety issues
- Reviews and provides technical approval for investigator brochures, protocols, Informed consents, final study reports and external data monitoring committee charters.
- May lead or participate in discussion at Global Safety Board for safety related findings in clinical development.
- Presents safety information at clinical investigator and commercial meetings.
- Ensures prompt notification to Group Leader or above of reviewed protocols that are identified as potential PASS
- Establishes and chairs the Safety Review Team (SRT) for projects in development and provides expert review of data and management of safety issues.
- Escalates safety signals identified through the Safety Review Process to Global Safety Board if necessary, via the Group Leader or above.
- Accountable for ensuring that risk reduction strategies are included in relevant documents such as clinical study protocols and/or product labeling, as appropriate
- Provides medical expertise for risk evaluation and risk management planning
Signal Detection, Evaluation and Labeling
- Drives signal detection for assigned products using available methodologies (including On-Line Signal Management tool, literature review and tools for individual case awareness).
- Makes recommendations to Pharma Safety Group Leader or above for the assessment and prioritization of safety signals
- Provides medical expertise to signal detection and subsequent evaluation for designated products in partnership with the responsible safety scientist
- Proactively leads the assessment of safety data and discusses the results with the Pharma Safety Group Leader or above and product scientist.
- Effectively communicates with Clinical Development and other key stakeholders on signal evaluation and labeling recommendations
- Leads presentations on labeling recommendations at Global Labeling Committee or Global Safety Board
- Produces regulatory supporting documentation for labeling updates
- Produces accurate and fit for purpose evaluation documents with clear conclusions, in response to internal or regulatory authority requests for safety data.
- Provides strategic input into regulatory requests for local label deviations from the company core data sheet
- Provides medical sign-off for regulatory documentation and represents SMG as the medical member of labeling discussions
- Conducts proactive signal detection and evaluation of issues potentially related to product defects or manufacturing issues; drives the escalation and resolution of issues and product complaints
- In consultation with the product scientist and Clinical Development representatives, prepares the Development Core Safety Information (DCSI) for assigned development products
- Co-ordinates and chairs meetings and tracks timelines to ensure completion
Regulatory Reports and Submissions
- Drives production of periodic regulatory documents (PBRERs, Annual Reports) according to the agreed process and timelines.
- Advises on strategy for the content of high profile PBRERs
- Supports the Local Operating Companies by preparing license renewal documentation (e.g. PBRER addenda line listings, clinical overviews, summary bridging reports) as required for each market
- Accountable for medical input, review and sign-off of periodic reports (e.g. PBRERs) and renewal documentation submitted to regulatory agencies
- Leads the Pharma Safety safety component of global regulatory submissions for new products, formulations or indications, with liaison with other functional experts
Other Pharma Safety Activities
- Drives the review or production of the Pharma Safety component of Safety Data Exchange Agreements and escalates any deficiencies to the Pharma Safety Group Leader or above to ensure quality and integrity of agreement.
- Advises on the preparation of licensing agreements in therapeutic area of responsibility
- Participates in due diligence activities by providing expert safety assessments and recommendations
- Participates in GSK internal or external meetings with project focus, including those with consultants, other companies such as licensing partners and regulatory authorities
- Provides support to GSK Legal for product liability litigation, as appropriate
- Accountable for maintaining personal readiness in response to internal audit or regulatory inspection
- Leads a process improvement initiative within SMG.
- Contributes to advancement of methodology and process by generating new ideas and proposals for implementation
- Raises concerns/ issues (i.e. sentinel events) to senior management in a timely, open and appropriate manner;
- ensures quality and integrity of issue/event being escalated
- Trains, coaches and mentors scientists in the medical/scientific aspects of signal evaluation methodology and risk management and preparation of safety reports and other documents
- May provide medical safety support for the US and RoW Case Management functions.
- Reviews and approves safety reports to investigators in partnership with the Clinical Development physician
- May provide input to, or participate in, meetings of an independent data monitoring committee (IDMC) or GSK internal safety review committee (iSRC)
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Physician (M.D. or equivalent) ideally with board certification in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine or Surgery. Subspecialty training/certification is a plus. Active or eligibility for a US Medical license is required.
- Expert evaluation skills and analytical thinking
- Outstanding medical writing skills
- Previous experience in clinical practice
- Expert knowledge of relevant pharmacovigilance regulations and methodologies applicable to Pharma Safety activities
- Expertise in causality assessment, evaluation of safety signals and proactive risk management strategies including management of labelling changes, physician and patient education
- Sound knowledge of the therapeutic area of assigned GSK products
- Sound knowledge of other related disciplines, e.g. statistics, epidemiology relevant to assessing drug utilization and safety at the population level
- In depth knowledge of medical and drug terminology and a sound foundation in pharmacology. Good medical judgement and ability to make medical decisions
- Clear understanding of clinical development process
- Clear understanding of drug approval process in major countries
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Advanced Degree Life Sciences or Pharmacovigilance
- Professional certification in Project management
- Ability to effectively influence key stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Previous experience in pharmaceutical industry and drug development pharmacovigilance preferred
- Previous experience in clinical practice or academics preferred
- Sound computing skills
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top