Medical Director- Oncology Medical Director- BCMA
Site Name: USA - Massachusetts - Waltham, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Sep 11 2019
GSK oncology is committed to the discovery and development of new oncology therapies that leverage patient-driven science to deliver improved outcomes for more patients. Are you keen to take your career to a level of recognition and greatest impact? Then this Medical Director-Oncology Clinical Development BCMA position on the Immuno-Oncology team is one to consider.
GSK is expanding its Oncology organization, and we are looking for experienced professionals to help us rebuild and grow our internal expertise! We have an exciting (and expanding) portfolio, and are looking for a Medical Director to transform delivery of our Oncology clinical studies. It's a wonderful time to join our team as wediscover and develop new oncology therapies with the life-changing potential of helping patients with cancer, specifically in three areas of cancer research: Cancer Epigenetics, Immuno-Oncology, Oncology Cell Therapy and SYnthetic Lethality.
Within the I-O strategic research area of GSK Oncology R & D, the Medical Director- BCMA is accountable for the clinical development of one the leading Oncology assets in Immuno-Oncology (IO): anti BCMA antibody drug conjugate (ADC), GSK2857916. The candidate will be responsible for leading clinical study team consisting of clinical scientists and other function representatives, strategizing development plan, executing clinical trial(s) in multiple myeloma and related diseases, and managing the development study resources and timeline. This role requires a cross-matrix leader to contribute to an integrated strategy across different indications for GSK'916, and to combination strategies with various internal and external assets.
Clinical Development at GSK is responsible for the development of the oncology portfolio from First Time In Human (FTIH) clinical trials to Proof-of-Concept studies, and pivotal registration trials. As GSK'916 is completing early phase development and transitioning into pivotal trial stage, this is an exciting opportunity to be instrumental in the success of this asset and to provide benefit to cancer patients. Candidate will be accountable for the design of clinical trials, and for medical governance for clinical studies; development of high quality clinical plans and data analysis strategies that encompass appropriate imaging, biomarkers, surrogate endpoints, and enabling technologies.
We seek candidates with the following capabilities:
- Vision and strategy: a passion to develop novel therapeutics for cancer patients. A deep understanding of adverse event management in areas of unmet clinical need and the ability to integrate this with the drug development activities required to advance compounds towards registration trials. Understanding of technical aspects relevant to drug development in the pharmaceutical industry including knowledge of GCP, regulatory processes (US and International) is highly desirable.
- Leadership: Ability to implement the clinical vision and strategy. To lead a cross-functional team with integrity, flexibility and forthright communication. This requires exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to meet project objectives by influencing and motivating key partners. Demonstrated alignment with and commitment to GSK Oncology vision and goals.
- Judgment: evidence of good clinical and scientific judgment. Ability to interpret the significance of preclinical and clinical data, and to anticipate the information that will be needed to satisfy regulatory requirements for early and late phase oncology studies. Ability to progress project safely and efficiently. Know when to seek advice from colleagues and senior management.
- Teamwork: to work as part of clinical development team, interact effectively across boundaries with other functions and disciplines using influencing, communication and relationship building skills. Able to secure, manage and maintain critical partnerships with key business partners.
- Collaborate: to form collaborations with key external experts to take world class science and deliver meaningful benefits for patients.
- M.D. degree with sub-specialty in Oncology and clinical development experience is required
- 5-7 years' pharmaceutical and relevant medical/clinical experience
- Good understanding of drug development
- Clinical and/or drug development experience with multiple myeloma is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully developing and executing Clinical Development Plans
- Proven ability to strategize, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously to ensure quality, timely, on-target and within budget execution
- Managerial experience with demonstrated track record of successfully managing high-performance cross-functional matrix teams in a complex organization
- Ability to embed medical functional skills and strategic thinking into team
- Ability to discriminate between critical and non-critical activities and to follow established processes while identifying areas for process improvement
- Attention to detail with excellent planning, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, high- level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Oncology clinical development experience
- Relevant experience in early phase drug development and translational medicine is an advantage
- Strong self-motivation and perseverance are desired.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top