Machine Learning Engineer - Technical R&D
- Wavre, Belgium
Site Name: Belgium-Rixensart
Posted Date: Nov 25 2020
The Technical R&D (TRD) department is responsible for the technical development of novel vaccines within R&D. Within TRD, the Global Data Analytics and Innovation (GDAI) team are responsible for all areas of data analytics in the context of technical development, as well as the introduction of disruptive innovation approaches for Biological Process Development. Our data analytics responsibilities include chemometrics and analysis of spectral data, analysis of complex high-dimensional biological datasets (Bioinformatics and Genomics), computer vision applications and predictive modeling, and hybrid modeling of biological processes (e.g. in the context of digital twins). Our team is global with representatives across all major GSK Vaccines R&D sites (Siena, Rockville, Rixensart). As the Machine Learning Engineer - Technical R&D in our team, your responsibility will be to ensure optimal Machine Learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) support for the wide diversity of data science projects the team is responsible for.
- You will be responsible for delivering data science projects in all relevant areas, especially image processing, predictive modeling in the context of biological processes, hybrid modeling, high-dimensional data analysis.
- You will identify new opportunities for application of innovative machine learning and data analytics approaches for our business partners, by establishing close and productive relationships across the company.
- You will work with other data science departments in the company, identifying opportunities for collaboration whilst remaining mindful of separate responsibilities.
- You will help upskill our organisation by training bench Scientists to basic aspects of data analytics, thus freeing your time for complex tasks.
- You will represent GDAI as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in cross-functional project teams.
- You will work closely with our scientific software engineering team to turn scientific applications into well-designed and validated scientific applications to be used by our stakeholders.
- You will foster ML/AI innovation within the GDAI team and keep abreast of the new and most recent developments and innovations in the fields relevant to the role.
- You will communicate effectively with scientists across the organisation to understand their needs and to explain your results.
- You will lead or coordinate scientific interactions with external partners (e.g. relevant academic groups) outside GSK Vaccines by identifying opportunities for collaboration, via supervision of students, etc.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- A PhD in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry, Mathematical Engineering, Robotics, Applied Mathematics, Physics or related quantitative field.
- At least 4 to 5 years of working experience in data science and related fields.
- MUST have experience in the Industry.
- Strong programming and data analytics skills. Expert understanding of git, bash, Python and at least one deep framework such as TensorFlow/Keras or PyTorch is a must.
- Up-to-date knowledge of machine learning techniques, including computer vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), general deep learning and predictive modelling, including CNNs, RNNs, time-series analysis and general techniques such as gbm, svm, glmnet, random forest.
- Experience with biological process development.
- Experience with bioassays and analytical techniques, e.g. electronic microscopy, infectivity tests etc.
- Strong understanding of Azure, DevOps and software development tools.
- Experience with SQL, R and big data tools such Spark.
- Ability to influence performance in a matrix organization through negotiation and communication.
- Good knowledge of vendors and state-of-the-art solutions for Data Science and Digital Innovation
- Fluent in English.
If you have the following characteristics it would be a plus:
- Good communication skills, ability to simplify complex problems and communicate complex solutions in a simple and effective manner.
- Good leadership skills in a scientifically oriented environment.
- Good networking skills and fluent interactions with one or more scientific communities.
- Good business understanding of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience mentoring junior scientists (e.g. students) a real plus.
- French and/or Italian are a plus
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork in a culture of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
GSK Vaccines- Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com .
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top