Machine Learning Engineer
- Brentford, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: Aug 18 2020
At GlaxoSmithKline we have created a world-leading data and computational environment to enable large scale scientific experiments that exploit GSK's unique access to data. Our focus is on bringing data, analytics & science together into solutions for our scientists to develop medicines for patients.
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with technical ability. We are looking for machine learning experts that want to be part of a team that discovers new medicines. This is an exciting role that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold, to solve novel R&D problems and have the potential to directly impact the lives of patients living with disease. We have impressive toolkits and world class data, and we are now looking for talented people to join us.
As a Machine Learning Engineer we'd like you to be able to:
- Influence machine learning strategy for a program/project; explores design options to assess efficiency and impact, develop approaches to improve robustness and rigour
- Be a key contributor to the planning and direction of a project and effectively prioritize goals
- Lead discussions at peer review and uses quantitative skills to positively influence decision making
- Effectively explain technical concepts at all levels in the organization, including senior managers/stakeholders
- Lead, or makes major contributions to, improvements in methodology or initiatives to address capability gaps or increase efficiency
- Represent GSK externally to advance technical capability across the Industry
- Identify opportunities to apply the latest advancements in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to build, test, and validate predictive models
- Create algorithms to extract information from large, multiparametric data sets
- Deploy your algorithms to production to identify actionable insights from large databases
- Compare results from various methodologies and recommend best techniques to stake holders
- Design, develop and implement analytical solutions using a variety of commercial and open source tools (common tools include Python, R, TensorFlow)
- Develop and embed automated processes for predictive model validation, deployment, and implementation
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology, chemistry, and medicine.
- Make impactful contributions to internal discussions on emerging machine learning methodologies
It would be fantastic if you have
- A higher degree in Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry or related quantitative field
- Expert understanding of a programming language such as Python.
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively as part of a team to both teach and learn every day
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top