- Tokyo, Japan
Site Name: Japan - Tokyo - Akasaka
Posted Date: Mar 16 2020
Are you energized by working in a fast changing and highly complex legal environment? If so, this Legal Manager role could be an ideal opportunity to explore.
As a Legal Manager, you'll be responsible as part of the GSK Legal team in Japan for providing a professional legal support to GSK Japan businesses, playing a key role in providing strategic and solution-focused legal advice . You'll be involved in important business transactions and projects having potentially significant impact on the business, and developing legal risk assessment and mitigation plans.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Provide strategic advice to GSK business partners, on legal, policy, compliance, transactional and commercial issues integrating legal knowledge with understanding of business and risk management and providing strategic, proactive and pragmatic solutions;
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of business agreements and other legal documents;
- Review business, scientific and sales/marketing documentation and advise on legal risks and appropriate mitigation strategy while maximizing business benefit
- Develop, review and recommend policies and practices on issues of potential legal risk and closely collaborate with the Compliance function on risk management and mitigation plans ;
- Advising on dispute resolution and litigation matters (including promotional disputes with competitors)
- Educate and train business partners on sound legal practices and new legal developments affecting the business;
- Prioritize and optimize legal work and effectively use available resources, including through using legal technologies;
- Work with or manage the activities of external legal counsel on specialist legal topics or larger transactions
- Cross functional collaboration and liaising with other areas of the GSK legal function outside Japan to ensure alignment with GSK policies and procedures and overall company strategy
- Assist with coaching and mentoring of more junior team members as required
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Law degree in Japanese Law
- Attorney license
- 10 years of experience practicing as a lawyer advising on key Japanese laws (corporate law, intellectual property law, data privacy and anti-corruption laws, etc.)
- Interpersonal skills and agile learning ability
- Leadership/management skills and ability to operate in a matrix environment
- Ability to engage proactively across a broad range of client groups
- Language skills: Japanese (native level) and English (business level)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Bengoshi license
- Experience as an in-house counsel
- Experience in healthcare industry
- Work experience outside of Japan
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change. Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top