Lab Head, Vector Biology
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Nov 6 2020
The Vector Biology group at the US Research and Development Center, GSK Vaccines, is responsible for designing, characterizing and optimizing viral vector platforms for vaccine delivery, with a focus on RNA vaccines. They are also reponsible for understanding RNA biology, biochemistry and structure, as well as RNA/protein interactions, as it pertains to RNA vaccines.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with a proven record in utilizing the most up to date molecular, biochemical, and cell biology tools to design the best-in-class RNA vector based vaccines and to provide expertise in vaccine development for GSK projects.
- To provide expertise in the areas of Vector Biology and RNA biology/biochemistry to guide the selection of new vaccine platforms.
- Apply the state-of-the-art molecular biology and molecular virology, particularly RNA virology, to engineer new viral vector agents, and drive the preclinical development of vector-based vaccine platforms.
- Determine mechanism of mRNA-based antigen expression and presentation to the adaptive immune system
- Elucidate the contributions of the mRNA molecule and lipid delivery system on innate immune activation, cell recruitment, and inflamation through the understanding of RNA/protein interactions.
- Provide RNA Virology expertise to GSK Vaccine projects.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership with an enterprise mindset, ensuring support to professional development and qualification of staff.
- Ensure the team use cutting edge technologies and ideas to deliver best preclinical expertise to GSK vaccine projects in discovery, development, and life cycle management.
- Ensure that the objectives of the team are aligned with R&D and business priorities and team activities are designed and delivered according to project needs.
- Takes full accountability of management tasks for the team and meet data integrity and quality expectations.
- Ensures the team delivering assigned activities in the most efficient and resource conscious manner; drives innovation to establish technology in the lab to enhance data quality and resource utilization.
- Possesses strong scientific leadership to enable collaboration with key scientific internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in IP and regulatory filings and publishes in peer reviewed journals
- Manage a team of 5-10 scientists.
- Supervise PhD students and postdoctoral fellows as needed.
- Accountable for the management monitoring of the laboratory, ensuring that compliance with the GSK Environment, Health and Safety standards are an integral part of the operations and culture.
- PhD degree in life sciences with at least 10 years of experience in a related biotechnology field.
- Knowledgeable in the fields of Virology, RNA Biology, and viral interactions with the host.
- Knowledge in the most current bioinformatics tools to design new RNA vaccine candidates
- Strong track-record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written.
- Prior experience with RNA viruses or viral vector-based vaccine platforms is preferred.
- Experienced in the development of RNA based vaccines.
- Experience with alphavirus replication and/or alphavirus as vectors highly desirable
- Experience on RNA biochemistry and structure, and/or knowledge of innate immune responses to RNA molecules.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top