Investigator, Quantitative Systems Pharmacology
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Feb 24 2020
The Systems Modeling and Translational Biology (SMTB) department is seeking a Quantitative Systems Pharmacology/Toxicology scientist passionate about using advanced mathematical modeling and computational sciences to develop and use mechanistic models of disease processes (QSP) and toxicology (QST).
The SMTB group uses mathematical modeling and simulation to address the relationships between drug properties, its disposition and the pharmacological and toxicological response to translate from in-vitro and in-vivo preclinical species to humans. This involves the integration and interpretation of data from many sources to help drive project decisions.
Working in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment the successful candidate will develop, calibrate and use large scale Quantitative Systems Pharmacology/Toxicology models combined with drug pharmacokinetics to link mechanistic drug disposition with target biology and clinical outcomes for various diseases. In particular, experience with PBPK models for large molecule therapeutics is preferred.
This position is an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients by applying mechanism based mathematical modeling coupled with biological knowledge to drive drug discovery and development. The level for this position is flexible and will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
• Develop QSP/QST models and apply them to impact the progression of drug discovery and development programs
• Responsible for providing modeling support to assigned therapeutic and toxicity areas
• Develop and execute a modeling strategy for assigned therapeutic area ensuring availability of appropriate modeling support
• Peer review modeling work from colleagues as appropriate, insuring high quality standards for the modeling work
• Build, expand and refine the modeling capabilities and software platforms of SMTB
• Provide consultancy and training resource to increase the overall kinetic thinking and modeling capability of staff across R&D
• Exceptional collaborative behaviors to build and maintain relationships with R&D therapy area scientists as well as the wider modeling community in GSK
• Promote and increase the reputation of the modeling internally within R&D and externally including regulatory agencies
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advanced degree in chemical, mechanical or biomedical engineering, physics, applied mathematics, scientific computing or related field
- Experience in applying mechanism based mathematical modeling techniques in life sciences
- Experience in building, validating and using complex, system level models of biological systems
- Core competency in numerical analysis focusing on differential equations and parameter optimization.
- Expertise in scientific computing and programming - in particular Matlab and Simbiology
- Experience in influencing decisions and experimental design by using appropriate modeling approaches that integrate all available data
- Familiarity with the challenges of drug discovery and forward thinking with respect to the general application of mathematical models in discovery and development
- Evidence of developing self and others
- Evidence of identifying, developing, and applying innovative solutions to scientific and technological problems faced in systems modeling
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial, collaborative attitude
- Successfully leads in a matrix environment, working across functions/disciplines
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD strongly preferred
- Experience building and using Quantitative Systems Pharmacology/Toxicology (QSP/QST) models
- Experience in linking QSP/QST models with mechanistic drug pharmacokinetics to predict safe and efficacious doses
- Experience in developing PBPK models for large molecule therapeutics
- Evidence of broad knowledge of drug delivery, ADME, pharmacology, toxicology and translational sciences
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgment to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top