Investigator Materials Science
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Sep 18 2020
As a member of Chemical Development, you will use your particle formation knowledge and expertise to provide holistic understanding of the relationship between crystal structure and powder properties for primary manufacture and contribute to the development and deployment of state-of-the-art processes and technologies to enable the delivery of our medicines. Chemical Development supports the small molecule portfolio in GSK Pharma R&D and develops the manufacturing routes and processes that turn those molecules into medicines. The environment is highly technical and dynamic as you will be collaborating across multi-disciplinary project teams. You will thrive in this environment if you are able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks, communicate your recommendations clearly, and if you are a team player who enjoys working in diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
This is a fast-paced and dynamic role where you will combine the information generated in laboratory studies with your strong knowledge of crystallization processes to identify the critical attributes towards the development of sustainable pharmaceutical manufacturing routes and processes. As projects advance through development, materials scientists support project teams by optimizing the particle formation step, analyzing data and supporting plant campaigns, from lead optimization up to and including the transfer and industrialization of manufacturing processes to commercial facilities around the globe.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Design and optimize crystallisation processes to produce APIs with appropriate properties for drug product processing
- Develop process models which demonstrate predictive capability and first-principles process understanding.
- Independently execute laboratory protocols and experiments to link the structural and bulk properties of an active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to its performance downstream in order to inform R&D decision making
- Work effectively and collaboratively on multi-disciplinary development teams, alongside Chemists, Chemical Analysts, Engineers, Modellers and Material Scientists. May lead a matrix team of experts.
- Perform data management and some data interpretation, recording results effectively and communicating results in technical reports. Effectively present at internal meetings. May participate in technical reviews on projects.
- Comply with local regulatory and data integrity requirements, including cGMP and GSK policies and procedures, with high quality and attention to one's own safety.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Materials Science or equivalent industrial experience
- Expertise in state-of-the organic crystallization techniques within a laboratory setting
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Working knowledge of physical and organic chemistry
- Excellent problem-solving and decision making skills
- Experience in independent planning and execution of experiments
- Experience with physical and solid state characterization techniques
- Experience in independent interpretation of analytical data
- Experience in process modeling
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top