Internship : Single-cell omics data integration, Belgium - 2020
Site Name: Belgium-Rixensart
Posted Date: Feb 12 2020
Exciting minds with our Internship Programme
Education required: You are enrolled in a Master degree or equivalent in Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Genetics or a similar discipline (with a strong focus on analysis and biological interpretation of single-cell multi-omics data) in an Educational Establishment located in Europe.
Language requirement: good communication skills in English in both scientific writing and oral presentations
Other requirements: The internship must be done in the framework of the curriculum, for which an agreement must be signed between GSK, the student and the sending university.
Want to solve some of the world's biggest health challenges?
With over 300 years of innovation, we're a science-led global healthcare company that delivers billions of innovative products each year. Join us and help millions of people do more, feel better, live longer.
GSK Vaccines- Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com .
Our department :
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
What will you do? Your duties might include:
- Performing customized and state of the art Bioinformatics analyses and results interpretation on locally-generated or publicly-available single-cell omics data
- Improving or developing new methodologies for high-dimensional and multi-source data clustering and supervised machine learning applicable to single-cell omics data generated from 10X Genomics platform
- Providing input in the integration and analysis of the experimental results from 10X Genomics single-cell multi-omics data applied to the vaccinology field
- Developing and implementing innovative computational methodologies for single-cell multi-omics data
- Conception and implementation of single-cell bioinformatics analysis approaches
- The successful applicant needs to show strong will to follow-up the internship to develop integrative analysis workflows with an emphasis on single-cell multi-omics data, which can potentially lead to a Ph.D. program in collaboration with university partners
- Integration of theoretical and experimental data to support gene expression, protein expression and immune repertoire analysis for single-cell data
- Ability to understand, improve and develop unsupervised and supervised machine learning methodologies applied to integrate and analyze heterogeneous and high-dimensional data
- Experience with R scripting and developing R packages
- Scripting and programming languages such as Python, Perl and shell is a plus
- Knowledge of C/C++ would also be an advantage
- Knowledge of immunology and cellular biology will be an asset
- Experience with NGS, microarray data, proteomics, and other high-throughput assays
- Ability to acquire general knowledge in relation to vaccine rational design
- Proactively identify, evaluate and implement new technologies or innovative concepts specific to his/her field of expertise
- The incumbent should have an open, proactive personality essential to work within an international researcher's community
- The incumbent should be well organized, have a user-orientated spirit
- Committed to solving biological problems and communicating these solutions
We're 100% open to all talent
We're 100% open to all talent - whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it's the right thing to do.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top