International Data scientist
- Brentford, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: May 14 2020
Data Scientist - International
ViiV Healthcare has an important purpose which is to leave no person living with HIV behind. We are delivering on this by developing and providing access to innovative HIV medicines which address medical unmet needs and make HIV a smaller part of people's lives. If you are a data scientist who is inspired by the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people living with HIV then read on ...
With a stretching plan for company growth and as part of an ambitious Data and Analytics (D&A) transformation, ViiV has decided to make a significant investment in building advanced analytics capabilities.
Key Responsibilities The Data Scientist - International is accountable for driving the development of machine learning/AI models to solve challenging and complex business problems through technical consulting and value delivery leadership.
- Design, build, and maintain highly complex analytical models to inform/drive ViiV Europe strategic direction and/or improve business performance (e.g. Multi-Channel Analytics, Patient Pathways, Omni-Channel Segmentation, Territory Design, Next Best Action)
- Lead all stages of model development from data collection, data quality control, model building, model validation, testing and calibration to analytics leadership standards
- execute advanced statistical approaches to build novel and innovative models
- Work with interdisciplinary product teams to design, develop, and optimize customer-impacting data solutions. Collaborate with teams in multiple locations for some complex analyses, including leading the work of offshore and contract data scientists as well as data engineers
- Distil complex analytical findings into simple, understandable and effective messages. Use excellent written, verbal communication and digital media skills for coordinating across teams and engaging and influencing stakeholders within the insights and analytics and tech community
- Champion a culture of agility to ensure timely delivery against critical priorities
- Continually learn new analytical skills, techniques and tools to maximise competitive advantage; participate in internal & external technology communities
- Partner with and influence stakeholders across the ViiV insights & analytics space and in the broader Tech organization in the development of the ViiV data architecture and data governance framework
Why you? Basic Qualifications: First and foremost, you will be enthusiastic and energised about data and be driven to share that knowledge and excitement with others. You will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes and a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights with the following required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM subject and experience in related field i.e. programming, statistics, data science OR equivalent experience (Data science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Engineering, Computer Science, ML, AI, Bioinformatics or similar)
- Hands on experience focused in data manipulation and exploration areas, with relevant experience in developing models for commercial application and ensuring that they are repeatable
- Evidence of passion and enthusiasm for data and drive to share that knowledge and excitement with others.
- Proven experience of effective stakeholder management and strong influencing skills where there is not direct management control.
- Proven track record of working with large datasets (both structured and unstructured), presenting that data in meaningful ways and deriving actionable insights; presenting insights back to stakeholders.
- Core technical skills: knowledge of:
- data management basics (SQL queries, database connections)
- data preparation (e.g. data cleaning including filtering and variable transformation)
- statistical learning (regression analyses, dimensionality reduction etc)
- ML algorithms (e.g. ensemble methods, SVM, clustering)
- Proficiency in Python or R
- Model operations
- Demonstrated initiative, judgment and discretion while handling sensitive information
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Masters or PhD - in a STEM subject and experience in related field i.e. programming, statistics, data science OR equivalent experience (Data science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Engineering, Computer Science, ML, AI, Bioinformatics or similar)
- Additional statistical tools or languages desirable: e.g.: R/Studio, Python/Pycharm/Jupyter
- Experience in dashboard tools (Tableau, PowerBI, QlikView, RShiny)
- Knowledge of: deep learning algorithms (NLP, transfer learning, machine vision etc
- Knowledge of the data landscape in healthcare (EHR, claims data, real world data, HEOR data) and/or Experience in healthcare, pharmaceutical, or consulting
Why GSK? At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging - to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED?
The Total Reward Package offered is:
• Competitive Salary
• Competitive on Target Bonus
• 26-days paid holiday
• Personal Healthcare, with the option to purchase family cover
• GSK Pension
• Share & Save Schemes
• Total Reward Discounts
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top