Imaging Lead for Functional Genomics
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jan 8 2020
At GSK we are poised to transform drug discovery by taking advantage of the genetic clues behind disease. Our new approach to R&D is at its core focused on the immune system, and will leverage human genetics, functional genomics and advanced analytics to improve the probability of success of developing new medicines. If you are inquisitive, creative, and bold, we need individuals like you to join us in our mission to study the basis of human disease and disrupt Healthcare.
At this time we are seeking an Imaging Lead to join our newly created Functional Genomics department within GSK R&D. This department is being built to industrialize and scale preclinical genome editing, and use a range of cellular phenotyping technologies to probe the consequences. These include high content imaging and a range of omics technologies in models ranging from single cells to 3D in vitro systems. The department not only has a strong internal basis for this work, but also capitalizes on the strengths and expertise of key external partners such as Altius, Open Targets, and the Laboratory for Genomic Research; all in an effort to help drive the best opportunities into our drug discovery pipeline.
- Set the strategic direction for and lead a team of preclinical imaging scientists and data analysts to support functional genomics efforts at GSK.
- Continuously identify opportunities to use imaging to phenotypically characterize the consequences of genetic screens being executed within the department or at one of our strategic partners.
- Explore internal and external opportunities to advance preclinical imaging technologies and demonstrate application to pipeline relevant activities.
- Represent the department in an internal Imaging network that spans R&D, and help to collectively optimize the use of imaging for pharmaceutical research at GSK.
- Work with other members of the High Throughput Biology & Imaging leadership team to manage the department, develop staff, and optimize our impact on pipeline efforts.
- Ensure the external visibility of the team by contributing to the authorship of scientific papers and presentations, and represent the department and GlaxoSmithKline at internal and external scientific meetings as needed.
- PhD in a physical or life science with 6 or more years postgraduate experience, or a Masters in the same with 10 or more years postgraduate experience.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the use of imaging.
- Significant hands-on experience in the use and/or analysis of a range of preclinical imaging techniques.
- A good understanding or hands on experience with deep/machine learning based analyses of cellular images.
- Experience with or significant knowledge of the optimization of translatable cellular assays for use in preclinical drug discovery research such as 2D co-cultures, spheroids, organoids or organs-on-a-chip.
- Practical experience or significant familiarity with automating imaging assays for scale and throughput.
- Demonstrated ability to work in or lead multi-disciplinary matrix teams, displaying excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and communication skills (both written and oral), with the ability to liaise with scientists and external collaborators at all levels.
- Demonstrated understanding of the current drug discovery and development process
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top