- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Sep 11 2020
We are seeking motivated, innovative, skilled and enthusiastic human geneticists to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics (HG) department. Candidates should be keen to apply state of the art genetic knowledge to drive decision making across the GSK pipeline, working in partnership with scientists in HG and in the broader Research organization, to generate biological insights that will translate into innovative new medicines for patients.
At the core of GSK's R&D approach is the identification of new medicines by leveraging the vast amounts of human genetic and genomic data now being generated and applying cutting edge technologies in functional genomics and machine learning.
Within the Human Genetics team, we leverage major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms and integration of biological pathway and functional genomics data to identify novel targets. We continue to evaluate these targets throughout their life in the pipeline, using genetics and genomics to identify the patients that are most likely to benefit and biomarkers to select these patients and assess efficacy.
Successful candidates will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with GSK scientists and external collaborators to advance GSK drug discovery and clinical development. This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK's R&D pipeline, and leads to publication in top scientific journals.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and implement opportunities for genetics-based science to improve GSK target quality and use human genetic evidence to drive decisions on target selection, validation and patient stratification.
- Be responsible for detailed genetic assessments to inform GSK project progression decisions.
- Participate and lead project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
- Be responsible for effective communication of genetic findings, with expert interpretation, to relevant stakeholders and project teams.
- Find creative solutions and work with agility to address challenging scientific questions.
- Contribute to the developing science of drug target identification and validation, providing scientific expertise within Human Genetics and across the Research organization.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MA, MS or PhD or equivalent work experience in human genetics, statistical genetics, genetic epidemiology, pharmacogenetics, genomics clinical pharmacology, biology or related field.
- Experience in population based genetic studies including interpretation of genome wide and phenome wide association studies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate complex concepts in the genomics and genetics area to influence diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience working within or leading collaborative multidisciplinary teams.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Data science skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyze complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Knowledge of functional genomics, immunology or epidemiology
- Experience leveraging external collaborations to augment internal capabilities.
- Integration of additional molecular data, eg from gene expression profiling, metabolomics, or proteomics, into genetic analyses.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top