Global Oncology Scientific Communications Director
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jul 5 2019
As Our Scientific Communications Director you will develop and lead of the Global oncology medical communication of assets and creates scientific communication plans, tactics, field medical educational material and external tools in alignment with the Global Medical affairs lead and the Clinical Development team.
You will also be accountable for materials required at medical booths, symposia, presentations and MSL trainings, provide medical accuracy review on additional materials and will liaise with cross-functional team including clinical development, medical, marketing and bio-statistics. Additional responsibilities include chairing the Global Scientific Communications matrix team, collaborating with investigators, congresses, medical experts and authors.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following
- Chairs Scientific Communications matrix team overseeing development of materials for oncology specific assets in accordance with the Global Medical Affairs strategy
- Provides scientific communication plan for GSK assets and leverages publication / data dissemination plan for the creation of simultaneous and aligned enduring materials and educational activities
- Accountable for accurate and impactful scientific deliverables including symposia, slide decks, MSL tools, and booth materials and accuracy review of non-departmental driven materials (examples: publications & congress presentations, MI letters)
- For all deliverables, collaborates with investigators, congresses, medical experts and will liaise with cross-functional internal team including clinical development, medical, marketing and biostatistics.
- Oversees the development of scientific platforms for oncology specific assets
- Assists in the development and execution of innovative tools for internal and external communication including digital/social medical delivery
- Supervises timely execution for all deliverables within the Scientific Communication plans for assigned assets
- Maintains a strong understanding of internal and external publication, scientific engagement and medical education/IME standards globally
- Oversees medical education strategy for assigned assets exploring innovative and interactive educational opportunities and executing on educational symposia at congresses as needed
- Disseminates internally up to date scientific data across oncology assets and disease states including recent publications, landscape, insights, presentations, study specific information, scientific statements, providing training as needed to medical affairs associates
- Ensures awareness of oncology specific assets internally by developing materials and training tools
- Ensures clinical trial awareness materials available to MSLs to supplement trial recruitment activities
- Maximizes scientific communication opportunities through the creation of tools and content for advisory boards, medical booths and externally facing meetings
- Develops a high performing matrix team focused to support the development and launch of oncology assets
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advance degree: PhD, PharmD, or MD
- 3+ years of oncology experience mandatory
- Has worked in pharmaceutical or communication company focusing on oncology for 3+ years
- Experience in developing oncology medical education tools and material
- Knowledge of publication guidelines and practices
- Ability to interpret, analyze and organize scientific data
- Experience with strategic and tactical publication planning, development of abstracts, manuscripts, and slide decks with strong scientific content.
- Experience with medical education meetings and digital/social medical delivery
- Experience leading and working within cross-functional teams
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong organizational, planning, and business acumen skills
- Ability to prioritize business needs and flexibility to address them when business appropriate
- Ability to conceptually organize and analyze data, interpret, and synthesize complex clinical and non-clinical statistical reports to derive key outcomes and messages; ability to translate scientific and technical issues for diverse audiences
- Experience or background in working within the pharmaceutical industry, strong awareness of compliance issues and guidelines around medical education and publications
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams to ensure execution of deliverable successfully
- Prioritize projects effectively and proactively collaborate and communicate at all levels within the company
- Experience with innovative tools and electronic communication channels; knowledge of applicable guidance related to the dissemination of scientific evidence to external customers
- Strong leadership capability with a focus on development of high performing, integrated teams
- Expertise in collaborating with external experts on medical affairs activities
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top