Galvani Engineering Director, Neural Interface Development
- San Francisco, CA
Site Name: USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Oct 15 2020
This position is an exciting opportunity to Manage the ongoing development of Galvani's Splenic Arterial neural interface on its path to commercialisation, including budget, suppliers, process improvement and engineering development activities. In this role you will support the development of new Neural Interfaces, with ownership of mechanical reliability requirements, properties and testing.
Galvani is a therapeutics R&D company formed in 2016 by GlaxoSmithKline and Verily Life Sciences to pioneer bioelectronic medicines - peripheral neuromodulation implants addressing disease with mechanistic and organ precision. With a long-term commitment from its parent companies at £600M subject to milestones, Galvani has a rare opportunity to impact medical practice and contribute to improved lives of a vast number of patients suffering from disease.
Since its inception, the company has rapidly built a novel implantable device platform uniquely geared towards abdominal, near-organ precision neuromodulation with minimally invasive implantation and user-centric patient and physician interfaces. The company has chosen immunomodulation as its core focus, backed by strong preclinical and early clinical data. Its front-runner therapy for autoimmune diseases has shown highly differentiated effects in animal models of rheumatoid arthritis, safety and immunomodulatory effects in implanted large animals, target engagement in an intraoperative clinical study, and is followed by other transformative assets in earlier development. On the back of this progress, Galvani is now preparing chronic feasibility trials (equivalent to phase Ib/IIa) in RA starting in the US and UK later this year, including a randomised controlled trial accepted into the FDA Early Feasibility Program being the most critical one.
With a team of 50, split across UK and US, the company has a distinctly entrepreneurial culture where colleagues with diverse, outstanding talent are steeped in "can do" attitude, seeing no task too small or challenge too big, proactively seeking out accountability, and tirelessly driving the company forward. The motivation to make the most of the opportunity to pioneer new therapies and to create a special place to work is widely shared.
Embedded into GSK and Verily's R&D sites at Stevenage, South San Francisco, Upper Providence, and Research Triangle Park, Galvani is situated in major R&D hubs. Partnerships with GSK and Verily as well as a large number of external research teams, suppliers, and contract organisations are central to Galvani's business model where the in-house team is the integrator for the wider product and therapy development efforts.
- Own the engineering improvement required for reliability improvements
- Manage project plans and interdependencies
- Own management of manufacturing and test partners
- Own project budget and spent with partners
- Provide Mechanical engineering expertise for new product design
- Responsible for chronic reliability requirement definition
- Responsible for mechanical performance and test method development
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelors Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering
- Experience in implantable devices
- Experience in manufacturing scaling
Preferred, in addition:
- Masters Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering
Our mission and values
At Galvani, we transform patients' lives through pioneering precision neuromodulation therapies . We let our values guide what we do and how we do it
- We focus on the patient: we exist to change the lives of patients suffering from chronic diseases, achieve our mission with integrity and transparency, innovate for patient benefit, make decisions quickly and effectively, and work with urgency and agility because patients are waiting.
- We create solutions: we approach challenges energetically with an open and positive mind, have the courage and knowledge to take calculated risks, commit to a diverse, inclusive and sustainable environment, and strive for simplification wherever possible.
- We deliver through partnership: we work in collaborative relationships with mutual trust, internally and externally, integrate the best ideas and the best talent wherever they are found, build the best knowledge and solutions by sharing and constructively challenging, and invest in developing people and building capabilities.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top