Formulation Scientist - GSK R&D Consumer Health - Richmond
- Richmond, VA
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood
Posted Date: Feb 12 2021
The Development Scientist supports the product stewardship team with leading-edge, formulation experience to develop and lead product stewardship initiatives in consumer healthcare.
Key Responsibilities This position covers a broad range of products across dosage formats and categories - from identifying gaps and strengthening existing formulations, optimizing the process for alternate vendor raw materials, and support transfer of products to additional manufacturing sites and geographies. Develops formulations manufacturing processes and/or, characterization and evaluation of material and products at all stages of the development process, taking into account scientific and timing objectives. This position may also serve as an R&D representative on cross-functional, global teams.
Why You? This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Conduct leading-edge science for formulation development. This may include implementing pioneering new technology routes against agreed project deliverables and timings
- Works on the optimization of products, following requirements outlined in business strategies, taking into account scientific and timing objectives
- Identifies potential opportunities for commercial exploitation
- Leads one or more projects and teams in support of departmental plans
- Represents stewardship and presents project results at project reviews and in other internal forums
- Designs experiments with little guidance from team leader and carries out scientific work with an awareness of state-of-the-art technology
- Optimizes product and process to reduce costs or improve value to support value engineering initiatives.
- Develops strong, collaborative relationships with other departments/groups and fosters an environment of knowledge sharing
- Sets and refines personal priorities as necessary to remain focused on objectives and project milestones under rapidly changing circumstances
- Actively participates in project team meetings as required and ensure delivery of commitments and project milestones.
- Creates research plans to fit overall project objectives
- Performs comprehensive, sophisticated and critical evaluation of own data and data from other scientists
- Bachelor's Degree in Life Sciences, preferably in Engineering
- 2 + years' experience in the field of process development
- 2 + years experience with solid oral dosage forms
- Experience and understanding of the Consumer Health / FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) product development process
- Experience and understanding of CGMP requirements
- Experience with and track record of OTC / consumer product and process development.
- Master's Degree in Life sciences, preferably Engineering
- Seeks advise from colleagues and Management when unexpected results occur or when major changes to project plans are considered
- Maintains awareness of scientific literature to assist work progression and understanding
- Writes technical papers/presentations to enhance personal, departmental and corporate reputation.
- Sets and refines priorities as necessary to remain focused on objectives and project milestones under rapidly changing circumstances
- Develops strong, collaborative relationships with contractors, GMS Technical and AS&T to help facilitate completion of outsourced support activity
- Provides consultation, review and guidance to support global product or method transfers.
- Ensures adherence to GMP, safety, SOP and other GSK policies and corporate and New Product Development (NPD) Management requirements
- Looks for innovative and better ways of doing things; actively looks to eliminate non-value-added steps out of processes and procedures
- Outsourcing point of contact on global resourcing of development and analytical activities for pipeline NPD innovation projects
Why GSK? Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top