Expert Scientist - HT Molecular Biology
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Nov 20 2020
The Molecular Biology group at the US Research and Development Center, GSK Vaccines, is responsible for generating and characterizing all vaccine candidates utilizing our viral-vector based vaccine technology. They provide key molecular biology and cell biology support to all GSK Vaccine projects and platforms. This group is also responsible for implementing new techniques and technology to improve high-throughput generation and screening of vaccine candidates, including high-throughput cloning and cell-based characterization.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist, with proven record in utilizing the most up to date molecular biology and cell biology techniques in a high-throughput environment, to take a leading role in developing and running high-throughput systems that can support all vaccine projects.
- To provide expertises in the areas of DNA cloning, in-vitro RNA transcription and cell-based assay characterization of vaccine candidates
- Develop high-throughput workflows for molecular biology and cell biology processes to generate vaccine candidates
- Design and develop new assays and technologies to support RNA vaccine generation and evaluation
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership with an enterprise mindset, ensuring support to professional development and qualification of staff
- Possesses strong scientific leadership to enable collaboration with key scientific internal and external stakeholders.
- Publish in peer reviewed journals
- Supervise students and junior lab personnel as needed
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD degree in life sciences with at least 2 years of experience in a related biotechnology field or Masters with at least 5 years of experience in a related biotechnology field
- Experience in scripting and operating complex liquid-handling robotics systems (Tecan, Hamilton) and application of these technologies to molecular biology and cell-based assay workflows
- Experience in molecular biology and cloning, including gibson cloning, mutagenesis, RNA production and isolation.
- Experience with developing cell-based assays to evaluate viral vector based vaccine candidates, for example FACS analysis or High-Content Imaging
- Experience with common molecular biology software, e.g. Geneious.
- Basic skills in statistical analysis
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in RNA in vitro transcription techniques and familiarity with RNA based vaccine technology
To be successful in the role, this person must:
- Demonstrate a detailed fundamental knowledge in molecular biology, cell biology and high-throughput technology.
- Have practical knowledge in molecular cloning, nucleic acid purification, in vitro transcription, and cell-based assays
- Demonstrate willingness to spend ~70% of one's time in the research laboratory
- Have the ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data to determine next steps
- Be comfortable conversing with opinion leaders regarding highly technical information
- Be a self-starter able to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Possess a good balance of creativity and analytical thinking faculties
- Display an ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment as a Team Player
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top