Expert Scientist - Antigen Design
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Aug 20 2020
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
The Virology group at the US Research and Development Center, GSK Vaccines, is responsible for identifying and designing the target antigens for vaccine candidates, developing assays to evaluate vaccine efficacy, e.g. reverse genetics systems and neutralization assays, and understanding the interactions between viruses and innate immune responses.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with a proven record in utilizing the most up to date bioinformatics tools to identify the best candidate antigens, to provide expertise in vaccine development for GSK projects.
- To provide expertise in the areas of virology and immunology to guide the selection of new target antigens for vaccine design.
- Utilize the most current bioinformatics tools to design new candidate antigens for both antibody and T cell responses.
- Provide virology expertise to GSK vaccine projects
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership with an enterprise mindset, ensuring support to professional development and qualification of staff
- Possesses strong scientific leadership to enable collaboration with key scientific internal and external stakeholders.
- Publish in peer reviewed journals
- Supervise students and junior lab personnel as needed
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD degree in life sciences with at least 2 years of experience in a related biotechnology field or Masters with at least 5 years of experience in a related biotechnology field
- Knowledgeable in the field of virology, innate immunity and viral interactions with the host
- Experience in viral antigen identification and design
- Knowledgeable in the latest bioinformatics tools to identify and design antigens, both for antibody responses and identifying T cell targets.
- Experience in sequence alignments of viral genomes utilizing various public databases.
- Strong track-record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals, with at least 3 first author research manuscripts
- Basic skills in statistical analysis
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Prior experience with RNA viruses or viral-vector based vaccine platforms is preferred
- Demonstrate a detailed fundamental knowledge in molecular virology and immunology as they apply to vaccine discovery and development.
- Have practical knowledge in molecular cloning, molecular and biological characterization, virus-host interactions, or viral pathogenesis.
- Demonstrate willingness to spend ~70% of one's time in the research laboratory
- Have the ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data to determine next steps
- Be comfortable conversing with opinion leaders regarding highly technical information
- Be a self-starter able to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Possess a good balance of creativity and analytical thinking faculties
- Display an ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment as a Team Player
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top