Director, Oncology Applied Genetics
- Cambridge, MA
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Apr 20 2020
GSK's aspiration is to become the industry leader in genetically validated targets. A dedicated organization, Human Genetics (HG) has been created to achieve this, harnessing recent scientific advancements with a focus on human-derived data and leveraging external partnerships to translate genetic information to high quality targets, ultimately resulting in better medicines with reduced attrition.
Applied Genetics defines and drives Human Genetics strategy to maximize the impact of genetic and related genomic data on GSK R&D. To be effective, you will develop and maintain inclusive and empowered partnerships with Human Genetic projects and discipline/capability leaders and influence senior management in Research, Medicinal Science and Technology (MST), and Development.
You will bring in-depth experience in genetic and genomic science with a particular focus on oncology, strategy, and matrix management to ensure R&D projects receive a consistently high standard of genetic assessment. Breadth and depth of technical and leadership expertise across the discovery and development phases is required to support projects through all phases.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Developing an effective partnership with Oncology Research Units (RUs) and establish a genetically-driven pipeline strategy based on joint objectives for Oncology RUs, and where appropriate, Oncology Development programs.
• Leadership of Human Genetics aligned matrix teams to deliver these strategies and objectives.
• Ability to design, implement and deliver scientific strategy in support of the oncology therapy area, with recognized track record of initiating projects and delivering data which had the potential to impact decision-making.
• Ensure incorporation of genetic evidence into Research and where appropriate Development decision making, particularly with respect to C2TV (commit to Target Validation), C2T (Commit to Target) and indication choice.
• Integrate external genetic research opportunities, in particular, with 23andMe, into Oncology RUs.
• Lead GSK/23andMe workstreams where appropriate.
• In partnership with Human Genetics and other Applied Genetics managers, may also lead the design and delivery of projects.
• Influence senior management and decision makers across Oncology on genetic assessments of new targets and existing assets.
• Ability to identify talent, coach/mentor and develop staff.
• Promote transparency and communicate R&D achievements through publications in appropriate scientific journals.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
• PhD in human genetics, genomics, or biostatistics and experience in the oncology therapeutic area.
• Recognized leader with strong scientific expertise.
• Significant experience leading a multi-functional group responsible for delivering project-oriented support in genetics, genomics, or related discipline.
• Extensive knowledge of genetics and translation into biological function, and ability to apply their experience to drug discovery and development.
• Track record of managing complex technical, scientific and operational activities and in nurturing, developing and motivating high performance teams.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
• PhD in human genetics, genomics, or biostatistics with considerable academic or industry experience in the oncology therapeutic area.
• Subject matter expert in human genetics and applying genetics within oncology therapeutic area.
• Strong leadership skills demonstrating vision and strategy and effective leadership of change.
• Track record of influencing senior management for resource or financial allocation.
• Exceptional communication skills to have honest, truth seeking conversations, rather than being progression seeking.
• Building trust and teamwork. Use empathetic listening and conflict management resolution skills to show team members how the enterprise goals align with their own interests.
• Ability to work routinely across boundaries and establish cross functional matrix groups.
• Ability to coach/mentor, develop and performance manage staff.
• Exhibits strong GSK-aligned behaviors and expectations.
• Strong external profile and KOL.
• You will operate within a fast-paced environment, handling changes as they occur and flexing plans to accommodate often conflicting priorities.
• You will build effective relationships in order to influence and persuade other individuals at all levels to ensure adherence to agreed timelines and deliverables.
• High degree of matrix working within Human Genetics and R&D partners requires generous and inclusive leadership combined with clear decision-making processes.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk Managing individual and team performance. Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution. Implementing change initiatives and leading change. Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams. Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally. Developing people and building a talent pipeline. Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation. Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally. Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top