Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage
Posted Date: Oct 21 2019
GSK is seeking an accomplished and talented technology leader to lead a global innovation team. An Individual with a proven track record of piloting new and emerging technologies in a broad array of programming paradigms, data structures, and closed and open sourced systems is needed to lead and mentor a team of top engineers within R&D. If your interests intersect AI/ML platforms, Data Engineering, Pharma R&D, IoT, APIs and middle-ware, working with world-renowned researchers, software engineers, clinicians, software engineers, data scientists, creating talented teams, and improving the lives of patients with software, let's talk.
The Director, Innovation will fulfill three primary roles: the point person for establishing relationships with new vendors, the team lead of the innovation hub, and hands-on lead engineer. Qualified applicants will demonstrate mastery over object oriented and functional programming paradigms, a breadth of knowledge concerning the applicability of new tech to R&D problems, have led and mentored small software engineering teams, and exemplify the tenants of the DataOps and Agile Manifestos.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Talent management and acquisition of a highly talented engineering team
- Seek and partner with cutting edge technology companies.
- Assist in establishment of initial vendor relationships with a keen eye towards future commercial relationships.
- Where appropriate, drive change in GSK's current and future vendors' product road-maps and participate in customer advisory boards
- Liaise with the rest of R&D tech and the core tech teams to deliver solutions quickly to scientists, clinicians, regulatory, medical, and safety staff on pre-built platforms / PaaS
- Be a thought leader across all technology for GSK R&D
- Demonstrate internal and industry presence: ability to speak at conferences, contact senior leaders in vendor companies, and collaborate with GSK partners and collaborators
- Model our GSK culture, our company's DNA, for the innovation hub team
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree - Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Minimum of 5 years of at least 70% full time software development experience as an individual contributor
- 2 years in Technology Management is required
- Minimum of 1 year working on big data platforms
- Must have a successful track record of tactical execution in fast paced development environments
- Must have a history of providing vision and leadership
- Demonstrates expertise with: container platforms, their gaps, and pros and cons of various cloud and on-prem big data platforms
- Familiarity with life science and/or healthcare data models, particularly biomedical and omics data strongly preferred but not required.
- Start-up experience strongly preferred but not required
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Relevant Master's degree or higher - Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Familiarity with life science and/or healthcare data models, particularly biomedical and omics data strongly preferred
- Start-up experience strongly preferred
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
We're open to all talent - whatever your gender, disability, marital status, religion or belief, age, race, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin.
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is voluntary. This will be used to help us understand how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information, it is not used in any part of the selection process and we will treat your information confidentially and use it anonymously.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top