Director, Head Systems Vaccinology
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Apr 23 2020
Are you interested in a high-level Scientific and Strategic Leadership role, with global visibility and a Data Science evangelist mission for GSK? Are you looking for an opportunity to partner with project and platform leaders in Vaccines R&D, while defining and implementing the respective strategies bringing world-class big-data, machine learning and quantitative vaccinology methodologies? If so, this Head of Systems Vaccinology role could be ideal for you to explore.
As Head of Systems Vaccinology, you will contribute to the strategy of projects and platforms based in the RDC US, in pre-clinical, clinical and epidemiological studies end-to-end, from Discovery to Life-Cycle Management, while being accountable for Data Science activities. This individual will lead and manage a world-class team of PhD-level Data Scientists, post-doc scientists and PhD students.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following :
- Provides vision and builds a culture of scientific and technical innovation that maximizes the efficient use of Data Science to enable GSK's R&D strategy, with a specific focus on Systems Vaccinology.
- Leads and manages a multi-functional team of Data Scientists, coaching and mentoring team members fostering their personal development, ensuring proactive coordination with stakeholders, including pre-clinical, clinical, DPU and Vaccine Development Teams within the RDC US.
- Leverages an established, international network with academic, public health and industry Key Opinion Leaders to continuously gather competitive intelligence and influence externally on Data Science for Vaccinology advances.
- Is accountable for planning and managing the assigned budget, and ensures Systems Vaccinology deliverables are at the top of research and industry standards with respect to scientific excellence, cost, quality and timelines, including:
- Data science and Bioinformatics algorithm development
- Advanced data analytics, data and knowledge integration for hypothesis generation;
- Data modeling for innovative assays, high-dimensional readouts, biomarkers discovery and validation;
- Modeling and simulations, for biological, immunological and epidemiological systems
- Development of tailored systems and analytical models for explorative analytics of pre-clinical; clinical, and epidemiological data as well as development of analysis pipelines using combinations of heterogeneous, high dimensional datasets;
- Advisory activities on study design, readout selection, data analysis strategies;
- Preparation and publication of scientific papers, congress presentations and reports.
- Presents the data science strategy at key internal GSK meetings, and fully represents GSK externally with academic partners, regulatory authorities, consultants and other external companies, establishing strong credibility and influencing as a key opinion leader in data science for vaccinology.
- Participates in and/or leads cross-GSK Data Science advisory panels; establishes fluent collaborations with Data Science partners in GSK Pharma R&D and Technology departments; can deputize for the Head of Data Science and Digital Innovation.
- Ensures proactive alignment with stakeholders, including Data Science teams in Pharma R&D, Vx Tech and Biostatistics & Statistical Programming, to maximize Data Science impact, align on Digital Innovation strategy and support implementation of new processes, trainings, systems, vendor quality assessments, audits and inspections.
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Minimum 10 years relevant scientific experience, including 5 years of international managerial and leadership responsibilities and supervision of PhD students/ post-doctoral scientists.
- Strong publication record in two or more of the following areas:
- computational and molecular epidemiology
- bio-informatics and genomics
- systems vaccinology and immuno-informatics
- data mining and machine learning
- computational / dynamic modeling
- multidimensional biomarkers discovery and validation
- Excellent data analytics and modeling skills
- Strong line management skills
- Strong understanding of the Vaccines and Pharmaceutical R&D process and its regulatory environment
- Excellent knowledge of global Vaccines R&D practices, procedures, and data presentation across preclinical, clinical and epidemiology domains.
- Excellent knowledge of vendors and state-of-the-art solutions for Data Science. Business understanding of the Pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent leadership in matrix team setting. Proven ability to train, coach and mentor
- Experienced in leading innovative cross-functional initiatives from inception to completion involving both multi-disciplinary and geographically remote partners, through effective matrix management
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, change management and project delivery skills
- Highly effective communication skills; able to present complex data to groups at all levels of the organisation and externally to GSK
- Experience in managing research collaborations, contract laboratories and budgets
- Demonstrated scientific capability as evidenced by publications, research reports, and external presentations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills relating to colleagues and associates both inside and outside the corporation
- Knowledge of the microbiome and relation to immuno-oncology treatment responses.
Preferred Qualifications : If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Ph.D. in immunology, molecular biology, molecular oncology, pathology or related field
- Knowledge of IVD/diagnostics development
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top