Director, Enterprise Data & Analytics Platform Architect
- Philadelphia, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia
Posted Date: Jun 11 2020
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines, and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
Guided by our shared values, the platform team thrives in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing.
In this role as an Enterprise Data & Analytics Platform Architect you will own the data and analytics platform that guides GSK Tech in building a modern, multi-cloud data ecosystem. This leader will synthesize GSK strategy, data management best practices and business needs into a cohesive target architecture. This role will partner across tech groups, product teams, and strategic partners to drive alignment and adoption of technology stack and accelerate speed to value. They will set the direction and establish the approach of the organization's operations, improve the IT infrastructure, and optimize business operations specific to the GSK enterprise data ecosystem. The Enterprise Data Platform Architect will work to integrate the organization's information applications and programs to support the needs of the GSK business pillars while driving the technology stack alignment and integration for the enterprise. The Enterprise Data Platform Architect will partner across product managers to support a combined architecture that drives optimal performance for GSK and alignment across business tech partners. This role encompasses the management of the EDAP product strategy, delivery and continuous improvement ideas in data operations
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- This role will own communication with the BU Tech D&A pillar and help them to understand the key data capabilities offered by Code Orange platform and gather their needs to enhance the platform product with self-service features to ingest, prepare, & transform data at speed & scale.
- Technical Architecture: Related to the tech platform / stack piece, this role will assist in formulating and defining overall platform architecture and associated specification of the data storage, data processing methodologies & approaches, cloud hosting and API's that will give this platform the best chance to succeed and ensure that we can continue to leverage and scale the tech stack for additional and future analytics initiatives.
- Data Architecture: Related to the data architecture piece, activities will include providing leadership and guidance with enterprise data strategies and selecting the appropriate technology platforms; governance practices, and standards; and partnering with security architects to ensure compliance with data security and privacy mandates.
- Forward Looking: Additional responsibilities include evaluating and recommending emerging technologies and standards. Keep abreast of industry developments in analytics and be able to interpret how these would impactservices and present new opportunities.
- Design GSK's target data platform architecture and contribute to execution strategy
- Lead data technology architecture council and partner closely with architects in other Tech groups to develop and govern a comprehensive and simplified data architecture & technology stack
- Provide key contributions to the strategic road map for data engineering teams across Tech
- Partner closely with platform and product managers to develop solution architectures and new capability designs to support business tech and business requirements, complete design reviews as well as code reviews
- Evaluate emerging technologies to inform technology investments, and continually enhance the technology stack and processes around implementation and sun setting of tooling
- Champion roll out of industry best-practices and frameworks across the company
- Build and run forums to train resources across the enterprise
- Proactively sponsors process and technology improvements
- Provide technical guidance to all levels within GSK including Tech leadership
- Participate in industry events as well as external engagements to ensure constant learning around new technologies and ways of implementing
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10-15 years as an architect (cloud, data, etc.) with demonstrated expertise in emerging technologies and data technology platforms and management.
- 5+ years utilizing Agile Product Management- Scrum and SAFe methodologies
- Experience in data modeling and distributed data architecture concepts, knowledge of agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts.
- Experience in Azure data components, Data Bricks, Azure DW/Synapse, Spark, ADL, Power BI.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master's Degree
- Data Science and Machine Learning experience
- Responsible for ensuring data is maintained across their enterprise inline with business and legal policies (e.g. related to retention)
- Facilitate the design of efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis, with an understanding of both business and technical requirements
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
- Experience building and operating GxP-regulated technology in Life Sciences
- Deep understanding of Data Quality tooling (Ataccama), Metadata Management (Collibra), semantic data store (Azure SQLDW/Snowflake, Cosmos DB), PowerBI, Azure Databricks, Data Ingestion/Acquisition/Prep (Azure ADF, StreamSets, Talend)
- Deep understanding of, recent experience with and certifications for data services within the Azure cloud offering
- Experience deploying infrastructure-as-code using Ansible, ARM templates and Terraform
- Experience managing containers in Azure Kubernetes Service
- Experience driving automation and efficiencies between ServiceNow and cloud data infrastructure
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top