Director, Computational Biology
- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: Stevenage
Posted Date: Jul 9 2020
We are seeking a motivated and innovative computational biologist to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics department. The candidate will lead a team focused on the application of state-of-the-art analysis methods to inform decision making across the GSK pipeline, integrating diverse and complex data types to translate genetic signals into innovative new medicines for patients with unmet medical need.
GSK aims to improve the number of successful late stage clinical trials for innovative medicines, by both identifying and advancing drug targets that have strong evidence of a causal role in disease biology. The Human Genetics team leverages major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms, breakthrough understanding of biological pathways, functional genomics capabilities built upon rapid progress in gene editing, and leading industry-academia partnerships, in order to identify the best targets and to continue evaluation of targets through their life in the pipeline.
The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with GSK scientists and external collaborators to advance drug discovery and clinical development. This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK's R&D pipeline and leads to publications in top scientific journals.
The successful candidate will:
- Line manage and develop a team to deliver prioritised projects aligned to the Human Genetics and GSK R&D scientific strategy.
- Drive novel computational approaches to translate human genetic and genomic evidence to inform target selection and validation decisions, with a focus on immune mechanisms.
- Engage with cross-functional project teams and external collaborators to drive innovative use of genetic and genomic data and analyses.
- Shape the developing science of drug target identification and validation by providing scientific leadership to the Research organisation and beyond.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, computational sciences, machine learning or biomedical/biological sciences, plus extensive experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and develop junior scientists.
- Demonstrated experience leading computational biology/bioinformatics approaches, focused on genomic data analysis or translational bioinformatics.
- Ability to leverage multi-omic data sets to drive biological insights.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Application of pathway and network methods and/or regulatory genomics for the analysis and interpretation of genome-wide genetic or genomic data.
- Application of genetic/genomic approaches in target identification and validation
- Knowledge of machine learning approaches and their application to genetics/genomics.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top