Director, Biopharmaceutical Technology
- King of Prussia, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - King of Prussia
Posted Date: Nov 4 2020
Are you energized by an opportunity to leverage your leadership skills to shape and drive scientific teams that are at the forefront of biopharmaceutical technology? If so, this Director Biopharmaceutical Technology role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
As Director Biopharmaceutical Technology, you will lead the Biopharmaceutical Technology Department for Upper Merion (UM) Biopharm, focusing on delivering new biopharmaceutical products, applications and technologies as well as on delivering improvements to the existing supply chains supported by UM Biopharm and technology transfers between Pharma Supply Chain ( PSC) & R&D. You will support the New/Commercialized Product teams and the supply chain in all manufacturing aspects.
You will direct the transfer of primary biopharmaceutical production technologies from R&D, third party clients, or Contract Manufacturing Organizations to PSC and from UM Biopharm to other biopharmaceutical manufacturing sites. This department has responsibility for biopharmaceutical process technologies within UM Biopharm, and has direct responsibilities for continuously reducing product COGS while improving product quality for products supplied by UM Biopharm. In addition, you will lead a data management & analysis shared service to support Biopharmaceutical manufacturing activities within UM Biopharm.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Provides technical information to enable sourcing decisions on potential new products from GSK or contract partners to be made
- Introduce new products by ensuring the adaptation of complex processes within their technical constraints into a manufacturing environment with its own constraints by globally mastering the communication and influence at all levels within R&D, PSC , Commercial, and third parties to ensure technical and commercial success of products supplied by UM Biopharm
- Drive innovation through the introduction of new and novel technologies and/or ways of working and champion business cases for mfg. technology implementation or other strategic projects
- Responsible for the introduction of new processes within UM Biopharm and scale-up of processes transferred from R&D. Has direct accountability for directly influencing R&D to ensure that R&D processes work within PSC, and achieve yields and product attributes consistent necessary for commercial supply
- Be responsible for the secure storage and distribution of master and working cell banks for the commercial GSK Biopharmaceutical portfolio. Cell banks are the key IP for the biopharmaceutical manufacturing process and secure storage and distribution is critical for the long term secure supply of biopharmaceutical products
- Directly influence the GSK QbD (Quality by Design)/DFM (Design for Manufacture) strategy being developed by Biopharm R&D for Biopharmaceutical products and champion the implementation of QbD and PUCC (Process Understanding, Control & Capability) programs within GMS Biopharm
- Be accountable to provide Data Management & Analysis leadership/support for biopharmaceutical related activities undertaken by different globally dispersed groups within PSC (for example by the BioCTL or the Biopharmaceutical and Sterile MS&T group) as well as for UM Biopharm.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline
- Experience in pharmaceutical technologies and technical understanding of industry and engineering/manufacturing practices related to the business
- At least 10 years industrial experience in technology development and/or commercial manufacture and/or process transfer to production in a pharmaceutical/biotechnology manufacturing environment
- Prior experience leading groups in a pharmaceutical/biotechnology manufacturing environment involved with technology development and process transfer expected to exceed 5 years
- Prior experience with pharmaceutical product licensing preferably with the FDA and/or the EMEA
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in scientific discipline
- Knowledge of current GMP's, ICH Guidelines and FDA/EU validation practices for biopharmaceutical processes
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills which emphasize teamwork with a strong quality orientation
- Excellent judgment. Able to prioritize and decide appropriate courses of actions. Effective at implementing decisions. Proven track record
- A working understanding of data science including data infrastructure, visualization, and statistical analysis
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top