Development Scientist, Theraflu
- Richmond, VA
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood
Posted Date: Jul 28 2020
The Theraflu team wants to make difference to the world by ensuring that cold and flu are recognized as different diseases and that each is treated in the right way to reduce the impact that they have on societies worldwide.
Working in close collaboration with Marketing and Product Supply, the Theraflu R&D team develops products for the treatment of colds and influenza that are sold worldwide under the Theraflu and Panadol Cold and Flu brands. Our products include medicines, medical devices, supplements and herbal remedies.
All team members play a key role in bringing our brilliant, consumer relevant innovations to market. As a Development Scientist you will support the design and development of new products and will work on a range dosage forms including tablets, syrups giving you a significant opportunity to grow and develop as our pipeline evolves.
Your responsibilities will include...
- Applying your scientific talent across multiple projects in support of our Brand Innovation strategy
- Designing and executing studies in our laboratories, pilot plants and manufacturing facilities, or with 3rd parties
- Documenting your work and helping to create dossiers that will be submitted to health authorities
- Ensuring you work in accordance with the company and external standards (including GMP and EHS) embodied in our SOPs but challenging these and suggesting improvements if you think they are inefficient.
- Building strong, collaborative and productive relationships with colleagues in other teams across R&D and the wider organization in order to achieve your goals.
- Maintaining an awareness of scientific literature to assist your work progression and understanding.
- Developing a good knowledge of regulations impacting areas of work (e.g. EP/USP/ICH)
- Building your own development plan along with your manager that will enable you to reach your full potential
- As your skills and experience grow, sharing this with others through coaching and mentoring to help them develop
Consumer and Customer-Obsessed
- Participating in consumer engagement research to understand the needs of Theraflu consumers in each of our markets
- Working with our Consumer Understanding and Sensory scientists to develop products that best meet the needs of our consumers
- Maintaining precise experimental records
- Writing reports at project milestones and creating invention records to protect scientific discoveries.
- Ensuring all work is conducted following good scientific practice and Good Manufacturing Practice (where required).
- Setting and resetting priorities to remain focused on priority objectives in rapidly changing circumstances.
- Taking responsibility for specific equipment in accordance with site procedures.
- Participating in general problem solving or lead problem solving initiatives
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's Degree (Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Nutritional, or related science)
- At least 5 years' experience (with Bachelors) OR 2 years' experience (With Masters)
- Proven experience applying scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
- Knowledge of/ experience with R&D development processes and associated commercial environment.
- Masters or PhD degree (Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Nutritional, or related science)
- Computer literacy
- Basic understanding of statistics and its application to experimental work.
- An ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams, and multitask.
- An ability to organize and report study data from internal and external sources.
- Flair for creativity and innovation
- Clear and effective communication skills in both oral and written form with both internal departments and external organizations.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top