Data Strategy & Design Director - Human Genetics
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jan 9 2020
Job Purpose Achieving a step-change in the ability to leverage internal and external data assets and tools to drive scientific discovery is a key objective for the Data and Computational Sciences (DCS) team within GSK's Pharmaceutical R&D organisation. The Data Strategy and Design (DSD) group within DCS supports this objective via the design, development and deployment of data pipelines and products in collaboration with multiple partner groups across GSK.
The overall aim of the Data Strategy and Design team is to transform the way decisions are made within GSK R&D by providing capable people with easy access to data and tools that they can trust. There are four key drivers for this strategy, which are closely aligned with GSK's corporate priorities of Innovation, Performance and Trust:
Unlocking value of innovative science: Unlocking value of investments in new transformational science and technology platforms by providing the capability to exploit the data they generate Enabling acceleration: Shortening cycle-time through reducing duration of data activities to keep R&D off the critical path for project delivery or enabling new science or technology to do the same Supporting licence to operate: Increasing assurance of data integrity through automation, integration and reducing the number of opportunities for human error to occur Improving efficiency: Reducing project cost and / or increasing bandwidth through the automation of data activities that are currently manual and FTE-intensive
The Data Strategy & Design Director - Human Genetics will be responsible for developing the R&D scientific data strategy aligned to the scientific data needs of Human Genetics business units in Research, in support of the R&D scientific strategy. As such she/he will develop an overall plan which will include data acquisition, ingestion and provisioning of both internal and external data sources with a clear link to the end use of the data in driving R&D strategy. This can cover data from scientific experiments, data derived from carefully genotyped and/or phenotyped patient populations, library and reference sources as well as data from patients in the real-world. The role will be critical in the GSK goal of data-driven decision making across R&D transforming the discovery and development of medicines. We are currently recruiting for one autonomous individual to join the existing DS&D team and be based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK or Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Accountable for developing and executing a data strategy aligned to Human Genetics; it would be expected that the individual would be a core/extended member of the Human Genetics LT.
- Responsible for leading a partnership between, DCS, and R&D Tech and engaging with vendors where needed to plan on a 3-year horizon including:
- Leading definition of Data Strategy scope and population (data sources/types) ordering including oversight on the quality of the data, length back in history (scientific/business obsolescence), cost vs curation, and prioritisation of emerging strategic and new sources internally and externally
- Leading the oversight on Data sensitivities/security/access/legal considerations (eg asset divestment)
- Providing thought leadership on Data standards, ontologies (both content and metadata) and the processes / resources for on-going curation
- Setting the provisioning strategy and harnessing Scientific Analytics and Visualization for development and delivery of solutions for end users to maximise the data for predictive science
- Responsible for providing domain expertise in specific data types for data generated/consumed across business areas in R&D as it pertains to different use cases and different user personas
- Designs, manages and leads SME workflows to deliver data curation processes with scientists from R&D and team members in DCS and R&D Tech. This includes metadata and processes embedding to standardise data.
- Supports development of change management plans for delivery within the R&D lines to identify and engage the right SMEs, securing the appropriate amount of time needed by the SMEs to embed use of data and tools provisioned
- Supports the value creation (information as an asset), monitoring and reporting of this data population and usage to others.
- Governs the access/control policy for the data
- Provides guidance to relevant business lines on data stewardship and governance plans and processes that drive data generation and (re)use.
Job related skills/background
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Masters/PhD in statistical genetics, computational biology, or genomics.
- 10+ years (inclusive of education) relevant and practical experience in human and population genetics, biostatistics, epidemiology, statistical genetics, and computational modelling in a drug development setting
- Foundation in methods of analysis for complex genetic studies: GWAS, V2G/V2F, xQTL (eQTL, pQTL, etc...), pheWAS, Mendelian Randomisation, whole exome/genome sequencing, fine-mapping etc.
- Familiarity with large GWAS and Genotyping Studies: HapMap, 1000 Genomes, TOPMed, gnomAD, Open Targets Genetics, etc.
- Familiarity with publicly available functional datasets including: GTEx, ENCODE, Human Protein Atlas, etc.
- Definition and delivery of 1-2-year scientific data strategies, ideally aimed at simplification and evidence-based decision making
- Broad understanding of applying advanced analytics including AI/ML to solve key questions in genetics and genomics to identify novel targets and biomarkers; Working knowledge and experience with Hadoop and relational databases; Working knowledge of Big Data querying tools, such as Pig, Hive, and Impala
- Experience managing high performing teams and off-shore development resources; Program/project management skills and proven ability to deliver programs of work with multiple customer groups, balancing differing requirement
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
PhD in statistical genetics
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top