Data Scientist - Supply Chain
- London, United Kingdom
Site Name: GSK House
Posted Date: May 19 2020
Data Scientist - Supply Chain
The Data Scientist is accountable for driving projects and improvement activities through technical consulting and value delivery leadership, for a range of Pharma supply chain activities within GSK.
The Data Scientist will execute advanced computational approaches to accelerate and optimize the pharmaceutical product supply chain, generating insights by merging diverse data streams, internal and external big data sources, structured and unstructured data and using modelling, statistical, data visualisation and decision analytics techniques.
The Data Scientist will lead and collaborate with others in GSK in discovery and experimentation in new and emerging data science technologies such as Machine/Deep Learning and Artificial Intelligence, exploit established statistical tools such as multi-variate regression analysis and utilise data modelling and optimisation tools. The Data Scientist will leverage structured sources of enterprise data and unstructured external data to provide insights to accelerate time to market, reduce inventory, increase first time right, increase OEE and OTIF.
The Data Scientist is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools for building and implementing models, creating and using algorithms and simulations. They must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights in the supply chain.
The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes - data scientists make discoveries while swimming in data. It's their preferred method of navigating the world around them. Data scientists realize that they face technical limitations, but they don't allow that to bog down their search for novel solutions.
- Apply a broad array of analytics skills including machine learning, statistics, text-mining/NLP, and modelling to extract insights to structured and unstructured data sources and complementary real-world & digital information streams.
- Work on and often lead a variety of team-based projects providing expertise in analytical and computational approaches with the Centre of Excellence
- Work with the latest tools and technologies to impact manufacturing and supply chain process
- Contribute to the Advanced Analytics plans for projects across all part of GSK
- Build and construct prototypes of Advanced Analytic work-flows
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions. Leverage analytics involving large datasets to refine and improve data models.
- Mine and analyse data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of product development, end to end supply chain, quality and manufacturing business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyse model performance and data accuracy
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Use predictive modelling to increase and optimize end to end performance in the supply chain
- Use excellent written, verbal communication and digital media skills for coordinating across teams and engaging and influencing stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a passion and drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Graduate in science, engineering, computing, statistics or similar mathematically based discipline
- Good knowledge of supply chain processes, ideally in a Pharmaceutical environment
- Extensive understanding of ML, Statistics and AI methods (preferably Ph.D or Masters) and continuous use of BI and ML/AI systems.
- Deep expertise in handling enterprise implementation of algorithms and enterprise data handling.
- Experience in Supply Chain a must.
- Pharma industry a plus.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Higher Degree (Master, PhD) or relevant profession qualification in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field, and is familiar with the relevant software tools
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams and engaging and influencing stakeholders
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: Periscope, Business Objects, D3, ggplot, etc
- Experience working with and creating data architectures
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Knowledge and experience creating and using a variety of advanced machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge and experience of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, DigitalOcean, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top