Data Scientist, Biopharm Process Development
- King of Prussia, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - King of Prussia
Posted Date: Jun 14 2021
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing heathcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Biopharmaceutical Process Development is a highly experienced Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) organization accountable for delivering robust, cost effective and competitive products and manufacturing processes spanning the full life-cycle of asset development from Discovery through commercialization. These activities are delivered through state-of-the art internal facilities as well as strategic external partners. Collectively, the team is accountable for CMC activities encompassing cell line development, cell culture/ microbial fermentation, purification development, and drug product/ device development. We also pioneer innovative technologies to improve robustness, reduce cost of goods, and improve the patient experience.
Within Biopharmaceutical Process Development (BPD), the Downstream Development (DPD) department is responsible for the development of harvest and purification processes for the manufacture of GSK's Biopharm assets. The Department is also responsible for the scale-up and technology transfer of the processes to manufacturing facilities all over the world. Our aim is to integrate innovative processes and platforms, automation and advanced data analytics into the downstream process development workflow. An opportunity has arisen for a data enablement specialist with the ability to lead a team to assist in the development of information systems to support the gathering, curation and visualization of scientific data.
In this role, you will be working with a highly skilled team of data and automation scientists, responsible for development and maintenance of information systems, such as the integration of process and analytical data, reference data management, visualization tools and equipment and workflow automation. Although most of the work will be supporting DPD, these data enablement efforts span the entire BPD organization, as well as the broader R&D organization. You will represent DPD at the BPD and R&D levels. The success of the role depends on excellent and adaptable verbal and written communication skills, strong leadership skills, in-depth knowledge of data sciences and understanding of data engineering principles. We look to you for your strong technical expertise, interpersonal skills, and ability to lead people directly and indirectly as well as a very high level of motivation and learning agility.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Leadership in the development of software and hardware solutions, to serve as an advocate for scientists in DPD that will be using these systems.
- To facilitate the identification of strategic solutions by serving as the leader for DPD.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or equivalent experience (preferably in a CMC organization), in Computer Science, Managed Information Systems (or business degree equivalent), Bioprocess/Biochemical/Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or Statistical Sciences .
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence senior stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strategic understanding in information technologies and systems and their applications in CMC activities (e.g. the integration of process and analytical data, reference data management, visualization tools and equipment and workflow automation, Chromatography Data Systems, Distributed Control Systems).
- Proven track record in working across the organization.
- Business analysis for gathering of software requirements.
- Experience in assembling, analyzing, and visualizing complex data sets (e.g. Spotfire, Power BI).
- Basic experience of the overall biopharmaceutical development process.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Agile software development.
- Administrator and/or subject-matter expert for the support and/or development of scientific information systems.
- Programming skills in one or more languages (e.g. Python, SQL, C#, VB.NET)
- Data science and modelling expertise.
- Lab-based experience in biopharmaceutical or pharmaceutical development.
- PMP certification.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top