Country Principal Medical Affairs Scientist - Pain Relief
- Warren, NJ
Site Name: USA - New Jersey - Warren
Posted Date: Jul 23 2020
This Principal Medical Affairs Scientist will be supporting our Pain therapeutic area. The purpose of this role is to support the delivery of medical affairs excellence and provide dynamic leadership within the Regional / Country Medical Affairs organization to deliver business results and ensure effective deployment of Safety/Compliance standards across the GSK Consumer Healthcare (CH) business.
This position will work closely with the Regional / Area / Country Medical Affairs Lead to establish direction, execute strategy, and ensure delivery of annual medical goals and objectives. This role collaborates extensively with various business functions to drive and implement medical affairs brand/product strategies and deliverables, including Category Medical Affairs, Global R&D Category Leads, Regional Commercial Leads, GM's, Safety, Legal, Corporate Compliance and other functions.
The impact that this role will have upon business success is critical. Application of medical technical expertise and keen insight will increase the scientific impact of GSK's CH business activities.
This is an individual contributor role providing leadership with significant accountability for and oversight of the following activities:
- Supporting Medical Affairs and platform medical innovation and product stewardship for local priority products and providing consultation for selected brands marketed globally
- Assessing and enhancing the Regional Medical Affairs Operating Model to drive results for GSK CH
- Leading the implementation of process improvement plans to enhance organizational efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Delivering KPIs to measure success / improvement areas and enabling transparency through consistent communications.
- Supporting the Regional & Area Medical Affairs Lead in delivering the annual goals and objectives activities to ensure that all Medical functions are appropriately aligned with the global launch and regional marketing plans, plus that the enabling functions (Safety, Regulatory, Legal, Compliance functions, Finance, etc.) are aligned to support strategic objectives and service levels.
- Support medical communication and publication strategy in alignment with assigned therapeutic categories
- At a regional project level, ensure alignment with product strategies and drive execution timelines, ensure budget oversight and share metrics around deliverables and successes
- Key scientific content contributor to the Regional Medical Affairs team
- Key Regional interface on behalf of GSK with external organizations including Health Authorities, Scientific Societies, Healthcare Organizations, External Experts, etc.
- Medical Affairs activities including but not limited to:
- Strategic support based on medical concepts, ethics and consumers safety and well-being, and medical risk/benefit assessments
- Support to accurate, technically supported and business-oriented claims for local brands
- Support to market information on data collection and analysis of GSK products and competitors
- Promotional materials: evaluation, review and approval where required
These activities will involve building effective networks with and working closely with stakeholders within Regions, Global Category Teams, and LOCs - including Area and LOC commercial directors, with partnership and medical accountability to them for supporting the business and consumer expectations in the region/ area.
- Contribute to the management of Regional medical affairs support for GSK LOCs both personally and through other medical associates based in the LOCs.
- Promoting the safe use of all GSK products in REGION by supporting the Pharmacovigilance team to ensure that GSK activities are conducted in accordance with applicable law and Company policies
- With oversight from Regional MA lead provide expert medical input to LOC / REGION regulatory applications, new product development and clinical activities, and business development and acquisition initiatives
- Contributing to medical and technical training of REGION LOCs about GSK products and competitors
- To provide medical affairs input to legal activities such as litigations, business practices evaluation and local policies development
- Act as GSK medical voice in all interactions with consumers, physicians, Healthcare Organizations and government bodies. Includes not limited to:
- To medically support customer enquiry systems which respond to enquiries and complaints
- Medical input to consumers relations questions and complaints as required
- Working with the medical information department to evaluate consumer contacts to identify trends and product's opportunities/ weaknesses
- Oversight of Medical Information at the LOC, including collecting, analyzing and communicating medical information trends to regulatory, medical, sales, marketing and commercial functions, enabling trend identification complying with all relevant regulations and professional standards
- Manage the medical elements of content development of new products in LOC or REGION
- Responsible for medical affairs activities including but not restricted to:
- Strategic support based on medical concepts, ethics and consumers safety and well-being,
- Support to accurate, technically supported and business-oriented claims
- Support to market information on data collection and analysis of GSK products and competitors
- To provide medical input to GSK Region commercial and business strategy
- Support the Regional / Area / Country MA Lead in recruiting, managing, developing Medical Affairs staff in Region to ensure the appropriate levels, competence and quality of support
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Degree in Biological science or Ph.D, MD, DDS, PharmD
- Minimum of 5+ years broad based Medical Affairs industry experience operating in a commercial environment, preferably in the Pharma, OTC, and / or Nutritional space
- Demonstrated business acumen
- Demonstrated ability utilizing influential leadership to manage projects and processes to a successful conclusion
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Proactive, with ability to anticipate and plan, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, make decisions and respond to tight timelines.
- Ability to manage and influence discussions with others
- Strong change leadership, ability and eagerness to challenge status quo; make quick decisions; and lead/operate successfully in an empowered organization.
- Established skills in understanding financials, budget management and business and process analysis.
- Excellent communication, influencing and negotiations skills. Ability to facilitate alignment and collaboration across groups/regions.
- Demonstrated the ability to work through a matrix organization
- Higher medical qualification (MD, PharmD, PhD, RD, DDS or equivalent)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Prior clinical development experience
- Strong computer literacy including competency in Microsoft Office software
- Knowledge and understanding of consumer needs and attitudes, customer groups, and opinion leaders
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships through collaboration, honest, and open conversations.
- Effective budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top