Country Medical Affairs Director, Consumer Healthcare
Site Name: Canada - Ontario - Mississauga
Posted Date: Feb 10 2020
The purpose of this role is to support the delivery of medical affairs excellence and provide dynamic leadership within the regional R&D organization to deliver business results and ensure effective deployment of Safety/Compliance/Governance standards in support of GSK's Consumer Healthcare (CH) OTC business.
The Country Medical Affairs Director incorporates a strategic and strong operational component, including managing the medical and scientific workload of the assigned therapeutic areas. This individual must have the ability to form collegial relationships with cross-functional individuals within and outside of GSK CH to ensure alignment in meeting the commercial and scientific objectives for the category's product portfolio.
This position will work closely with the Regional Medical Affairs Lead to establish direction, execute strategy, and ensure delivery of annual medical goals and objectives by driving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Medical community and cross-functional partners. This role collaborates extensively with various business functions to drive and implement medical affairs brand/product strategies and deliverables, including Category Medical Affairs, Global R&D Category Leads, Regional Commercial Leads, Regional Commercial Operations Directors and GM's, Safety, Legal, and Corporate Compliance functions.
The impact that this role can have upon business success is critical. Application of medical technical expertise and keen insight will increase the scientific impact of GSK's CH business activities.
- Direct medical affairs and platform medical innovation and product stewardship activities
- Direct and support medical needs for selected local brands
- Ensure medical excellence in all activities to safeguard the interests of consumers and patients and GSK's reputation
- Leadership and oversight of all Scientific Engagement activities within the country
- Responsible for compliance with relevant SOPs for all promotional activities, including claims
- Provide oversight of all scientific engagement activities within assigned therapeutic categories
- Provide medical expertise to local business unit, especially promotional activities to ensure best practice delivery of business objectives
- Understand, monitor and engage with the external environment (i.e., academia, scientific agencies, societies, organizations, and HCPs) as a credible science advocate for GSK CH to help achieve business objectives
- Act as the GSK CH medical voice in all local interactions with consumers, HCPs, External Experts, medical societies, and institutions, including providing medical support and resolution of customer inquiries, as needed
- Evaluate HCP and consumer contacts to identify trends and product opportunities and weaknesses
- Provide support to market insights team on data collection and analysis of GSK CH products and competitors
- Facilitate interaction/partnership between key External Experts, academia, and GSK CH
- Identification and recommendation of key strategic and innovation opportunities that align with commercial objectives to drive business results
- Support appropriate and safe use of all GSK CH products, including direct role or manage generation of medical benefit/risk assessments
- Responsible for developing and executing the local strategy and providing medical expertise to support the country product portfolio
- Achieve timely delivery of high-quality medical communications plan components, such as publications, abstracts, scientific posters, medical trainings, and product toolkits
- Responsible for supporting commercial functions to develop appropriate concepts and consumer communications (including product claims innovation)
- Claims innovation for GSK-products: Based on clinical data and published literature, propose new claims for GSK CH-products in collaboration with the respective therapeutic category, with a special focus on local stars and drive profit brands
- Where appropriate, to review and approve copies of promotional materials and other scientific communications to ensure scientific accuracy and consistency with approved product information
- Support defence of GSK CH products from challenges from competitors and provide medical substantiation support to challenge competitors' claims
- Build up advocacy to support his/her therapeutic area/brand(s) by recruiting and maintaining relationships with External Experts and scientific thought leaders
- Manage key vendors who support the development and execution of medical activities
- Responsible for implementation of local scientific engagement activities, including advice-seeking advisory boards
- Responsible for representing GSK CH at external scientific events
- Responsible for providing medical due diligence for external innovation opportunities
- May support medical affairs activities in other countries within the designated geographic region in alignment with the local/global operating model
Implementing Medical Governance:
- Responsible for implementation, training, and oversight of medical governance framework including:
- Scientific engagement policies and practices
- Review of promotional practices
- Provide input to relevant medical information responses
- Represent Medical Affairs as required
- Develop local Medical Affairs SOPs as required
- Partner with Pharmacovigilance team to ensure GSK CH activities are conducted in accordance with applicable laws and company policies
- Ensure all relevant consumer data generating activities undertaken by- or on behalf of GSK CH are conducted with appropriate Medical Governance approval in the region
- A strong commitment to achieving corporate objectives while maintaining high ethical, regulatory, and scientific standards is required
- PharmD, MD, PhD, RD, DDS, or DMD required
- Accomplished OTC and/or ethical pharmaceutical executive who has played a lead role in Medical Affairs and medical marketing by way of background.
- Experience in clinical development an asset.
- Minimum of 5 to 8+ years of experience with a successful track record of product responsibility through the commercialization process.
- Knowledge and understanding of consumer needs and attitudes, customer groups, and opinion leaders
- MD, PharmD, PhD, DDS/DMD preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Skilled computer literacy including competency in Microsoft Office Software.
- Cooperation and teamwork with R&D, Marketing and other internal partners.
- Personal characteristics should include a real team orientation, entrepreneurial spirit, sound judgment and strong leadership qualities to champion GKS's CH OTC products from a medical standpoint.
- Comfortable challenging others, being challenged, and fostering healthy debate over important issues.
- Energizing, enthusiastic and creative, with excellent communication, collaborative, analytical, and leadership skills.
- Willing to coach and develop colleagues to build a high performing team.
GSK is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. GSK is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top