Computational Protein Engineer/Structural Bioinformatician
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Nov 1 2019
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
An exciting opportunity is available to support and aid in the development of new pharmaceutical products through computational molecular design. The primary focus of this role will be to support the early phase of drug development; aid in identifying relevant biological targets, optimization of bioactive agents and/or evolving enzymes for optimized biocatalysis of small molecules.
Key responsibilities may include: •Work with team members to develop technologies internally, by providing insight into protein families and protein/small molecule interactions that can be incorporated into the experimental design for biological target selection, better compounds for synthesis, and more optimal enzymes for biocatalysis.
•Work with the protein expression teams to provide library designs based on statistical analysis of enzyme variance versus catalytic activity to drive directed enzyme evolution in order to optimize enzymes for catalysis in a manufacturing environment
•Work with biologics team to provide computational design of high affinity antibodies via sequence based analysis tools, antibody/antigen docking, predicted thermostability, and critical quality attributes.
- PhD or equivalent in Computational Chemistry or Biology, Bioinformatics, Physics, or Chemistry
- Experience in protein structural analysis with an emphasis on protein visualization software, protein homology modeling and simulation, rotomer and loop exploration, and small molecule docking.
- Familiar with protein design tools e.g. as implemented in Rosetta, Schrödinger, MOE or equivalent.
- Proficient in one or more programming languages (e.g. Perl, C/C++, Java or Python, Ruby)
- Competent working in a Linux/Unix environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary matrix teams, displaying excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and communication skills (both written and oral), with the ability to liaise with scientists and external collaborators at all levels
- Ability to independently review and appraise scientific literature
- Ability to generate conclusion reports, present data in team meetings and participate in writing of abstracts and publications
- Experience in detailed protein sequence/structure analysis
- Experience with machine learning algorithms
- Deep expertise with macromolecular simulation and/or QM/MM.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top