Computational Biology Director - MST
- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage
Posted Date: Apr 29 2020
Are you looking to expand your leadership expertise in bioinformatics in a global environment that allows you to keep pace with the speed of change? At GSK, we are transforming how new technologies are used to improve the lives of patients.
As a Director of Computational Biology, you will lead a 10 person team of experienced and exceptionally talent individuals and be a member of the Computational Biology Leadership Team. Computational biology is an extremely fast-moving and innovative field with rapid development of many diverse methods and approaches. We need you to bring your experience to drive results, implement state of the art computational approaches and support our investment in functional genomics and genetics as critical elements to our R&D Strategy.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
The Key Responsibilities will be to:
- Propose and influence Computational Biology strategy across the overall CB group as member of the CB-LT and implement strategy at the level of his/her team (CB-LT members are located at three different locations in the US, UK and Germany)
- Identify and implement best in class computational biology methods (this may require interactions with external KoLs, academic groups or bioinformatics service providers)
- Lead projects and activities as single accountable person (some maybe fully internal -within the CB group/FxG and with other participants from MST/Research- whilst others maybe with external collaborators)
- May be a Comp Bio lead contact with other partners at GSK (e.g. RUs) or for technology development
- Prioritise and deploy team resource as appropriate to projects supported by FxG to deliver new targets, progress target validation and impact the GSK pipeline (e.g. provide information to next milestone decision).
- Monitor progress of team against agreed objectives and implement course correction as required
- Accountable to senior management for delivery of agreed individual and team objectives
- Set objectives, develop current staff and recruit diverse new talent
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience to deliver high quality and state of the art computational biology solutions and analyses in support of drug discovery projects especially related to functional genomics capabilities and data
- Experience to lead line teams and/or project teams with computationally biology components and deliver influential outputs in a timely manner
- Experience in influencing senior managers (up to VP level) and working in complex environments with sometime limited information or guidance
- Experience developing strategies and in operationalising strategic decisions
- Experience in communicating complex biology concepts to diverse audiences
- Experience in interacting successfully with partners external to GSK
- Domain knowledge of Functional Genomics approaches and biology
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Excellent verbal and written communication Skills
- Project management expertise
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top