- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Sep 11 2020
We are seeking motivated, innovative and skilled computational biologists to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics department. Candidates should be keen to drive and apply state of the art analysis methods to inform decision making across the GSK pipeline, integrating diverse and complex data types to translate genetic signals into innovative new medicines for patients with unmet medical need.
GSK aims to improve the number of successful late stage clinical trials for innovative medicines, by both identifying and advancing drug targets that have strong evidence of a causal role in disease biology. The Human Genetics team leverages major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms, breakthrough understanding of biological pathways, functional genomics capabilities built upon rapid progress in gene editing, and leading industry-academia partnerships, in order to identify the best targets and to continue evaluation of targets through their life in the pipeline.
The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with GSK scientists and external collaborators to advance drug discovery and clinical development. This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK's R&D pipeline and leads to publications in top scientific journals.
Successful candidates will:
- Develop and implement novel computational approaches to translate human genetic and genomic evidence to drive decisions on target selection, validation, clinical biomarker discovery and patient stratification.
- Find innovative solutions and work with agility to address challenging scientific questions that progress the GSK pipeline.
- Participate in or lead cross-functional project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
- Be responsible for effective communication of analysis findings, with expert interpretation, to relevant stakeholders and project teams.
- Contribute to the developing science of drug target identification and validation, providing scientific expertise within Human Genetics and across the Research organization
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, computational sciences, machine learning or biomedical/biological sciences.
- Experience in a programming language (such as R or Python) and common bioinformatics databases, resources and tools.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Demonstrated experience in the analysis and integration of multi-omics data (e.g. transcriptomics, regulatory genomics, proteomics) for disease research.
- Demonstrated experience of pathway and network methods for the analysis and interpretation of genetic or genomic data.
- Familiarity with machine learning approaches and their application to genetics/genomics.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Sound understanding of statistics and biological concepts, coupled with data science skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate complex concepts and computational analyses clearly to influence diverse audiences.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top