- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jan 29 2021
We are seeking motivated, innovative and skilled computational biologists to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics department. Candidates should be keen to drive and apply state of the art analysis methods to inform decision making across the GSK pipeline, integrating diverse and complex data types to translate genetic signals into innovative new medicines for patients with unmet medical need. You will be encouraged to develop and advance your computational biology skills as well as your internal and external scientific profile through presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
GSK aims to improve the number of successful late stage clinical trials for innovative medicines, by both identifying and advancing drug targets that have strong evidence of a causal role in disease biology. The Human Genetics team leverages major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms, breakthrough understanding of biological pathways, functional genomics capabilities built upon rapid progress in gene editing, and leading industry-academia partnerships, in order to identify and progress the best targets through the GSK pipeline.
Successful candidates will:
- Help progress the GSK pipeline: Apply innovative computational approaches to translate human genetic and genomic evidence to drive decisions on target selection, validation and clinical translation.
- Work in teams: Participate in or lead cross-functional project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
- Communicate: Be responsible for effective communication of analysis findings, with expert interpretation, to project teams.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or equivalent experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, genetics, computational sciences, machine learning or biomedical/biological sciences.
- Experience in a programming language (such as R, Python or Perl) for complex data analysis.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in the analysis of multi-omics data (e.g. transcriptomics, regulatory genomics, proteomics), including at the single cell level
- Knowledge of genome-wide genetic, genomic, pathway and network methods
- Skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses
- Experience in analysing data sets related to immunology, neuroscience or infectious disease
- Experience working within collaborative, multidisciplinary teams
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top