Cell and Gene Therapy Product Development and Supply Graduate Program, US, 2021
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Dec 4 2020
Discover our Cell and Gene Therapy Product Development and Supply Graduate Program
Education required: MS or PhD degree in a scientific discipline: Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or other related areas. Relevant vocational experience will also be considered. Graduation by Spring/Summer 2021
Language requirement: Written and spoken fluency in your native language and English
Start date: September 2021
*You can apply to only one graduate program in the U.S.
Application deadline: We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Want to solve some of the world's biggest health challenges?
With over 300 years of innovation, we're a science-led global healthcare company that delivers billions of innovative products each year. Join us and help millions of people do more, feel better, live longer.
GSK's goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We have 3 global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay.
Lab-Based Scientist Graduate Programme; Cell & Gene Therapy Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC)
The potential of Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) to produce medicines with potential curative properties for a wide range of diseases is becoming increasingly apparent and demands a rapid shift in thinking. In order to lead in this new class of medicine, we are looking for bright graduates to support us in Product Development and Supply to create, manufacture and deliver innovative medicines for oncology applications.
Medicinal Science & Technology (MST) within Pharma R&D is accountable for ensuring that GSK has access to technology that amplifies our science, bringing competitive advantage by providing new insights that improve the probability of delivering transformational medicines to patients.
The CGT Lab-Based Scientist Programme is a 2-year rotational program consisting of 3 rotations within Product Development, Analytical Development and Manufacturing. During this accelerated graduate development program, we expect graduates to gain an understanding of the key technical, operational, and teamwork skills needed within CGT. You will be involved in the development of CGT platform technologies and participate in activities related to the understanding, improvement and manufacture of the medicines in our Advanced Therapies portfolio for oncology applications.
The role will be based in laboratories at the GSK R&D Hub in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania and following rotations, this role is expected to lead to a position in any of the CGT PD&S departments: Product Development, Analytical, Manufacturing, or Supply Chain, pending performance review and business requirements.
What is involved in the CGT Graduate Program?
During rotations, there will be a focus on development of technologies for ex vivo oncology cell therapy platforms and products, and their manufacture. Projects will encompass different stages of producing CGT medicines so that laboratory skills and knowledge will be gained around:
- Process research to understand the biology of how the medicine is made
- Manufacture of viral vectors for gene delivery
- Processing of patient cells for genetic modification outside of the body ( ex vivo )
- Formulation development for vector and cells
- Analytical development to ensure product quality
- GMP manufacture of modified immune cells to supply clinical trials and commercial products
- Compliance framework: Deviations, CAPAs, Change Controls
- Quality and regulatory aspects of CGT
- Technology Transfer and readiness for Good Manufacturing Practice production
In the role, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing lab skills across CGT Product development, Analytical Development and application in a Quality Control environment
- Developing an understanding of GMP manufacture and site operations, alongside working with external service providers
- Understanding and adhering to manufacturing compliance
- Gaining an insight into Technology Transfer and validation & commissioning of a GMP facility
- Designing and executing new methods and protocols and/or proactively incorporating new technology or techniques into practice with minimal supervision
- Executing a wide range of experiments/technical studies/tasks independently based on protocol
- Identifying and troubleshooting problems in the execution of experimental processes/technical studies/tasks
- Fully understanding the rationale and hypotheses for experimental designs with a theoretical understanding across CGT and oncology
- A passion for biomedical sciences and to be patient-focused with a genuine interest in the delivery of innovative therapies to treat unmet medical needs
- To be a self-motivated and proactive team member
- To demonstrate the ability to work with and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Communication and networking skills for interactions with scientists outside of primary "project" roles
- To present ideas and data effectively to colleagues and internal CGT stakeholders, at internal forums and external meetings
- To demonstrate an ability to multitask and problem solve and adapt to change, staying focused under pressure
- To influence: exhibit the capacity to grow into roles of increasing responsibility
- A 'disruptive' mindset, proposing novel approaches to challenging scientific problems An analytical mind and an eye for detail, accuracy and quality
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus based on company performance
- Access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs, which reward exceptional achievements
- Long-term incentives through shared ownership link your rewards to our longer term performance
- Competitive relocation policy for those who are eligible
- Opportunity for flexible working arrangements
We have changed the way we recruit in light of the COVID-19 pandemic - you can learn more about how our practices have adapted here .
You'll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
You can learn more about Inclusion and diversity at GSK here .
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top