Associate Scientist - In Vivo Infectious Disease
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jul 15 2020
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Medicine Opportunities Research Unit (RU) focused on Infectious Diseases at Upper Providence, PA. The Medicine Opportunities Research Unit is one of the 4 Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23&Me.
In this role, you would be responsible for coordinating and executing in vivo experiments using a variety of small animal models. The successful candidate will be science driven, assume personal accountability, work effectively in a team environment, and is keen to learn through experience to advance in their career.
- Design, coordinate and perform animal studies to support drug discovery against host and/or bacterial targets associated with infectious disease.
- Execute a variety of in vivo technical skills including rodent handling, dosing, bleeding and sampling
- Process samples ex vivo to obtain readouts including bacterial burden, viral load, measurement of antigen and cytokine levels, etc.
- Interpret, record, and present complex biological data at group meetings and other company meetings.
- Effectively prepare written documentation including study methods, results, and conclusions; and contribute to study reports, publications, and other key documents.
- Commit to continual improvement by reading scientific literature and applying the latest methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity.
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor of Science degree in biology, animal science, microbiology, immunology or related field with 1 to 3 years of relevant research experience
- Prior experience working with animals and a strong desire to conduct in vivo studies and develop professionally as an in vivo scientist.
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with robust analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment.
- Proficient with standard office products including Excel and/or other visualization software such as Spotfire or GraphPad Prism.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 1 to 3 years pharmaceutical, biotechnology or academic laboratory experience working in a matrixed drug discovery project team.
- Demonstrated experience working with IACUC protocols and independently designing, executing, and interpreting in vivo studies.
- Extensive in vivo technical skill set in rodents with high level of proficiency in induction of bacterial and/or viral infection models, all standard routes of dosing, and sampling various matrices including blood, urine, BAL, and tissues.
- Ability to conduct basic statistical analyses and simple data fitting using GraphPad Prism or other software.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top