AI/ML Engineer - Knowledge Graph
- Philadelphia, PA
Site Name: USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge, USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Apr 22 2021
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop transformational medicines using the power of genetics, functional genomics and machine learning. AI will also play a role in how we diagnose and use medicines to enable everyone to do more feel better and live longer. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and AI.
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with technical ability. We are looking for machine learning and natural language processing experts who are excited by challenges in automated knowledge base construction, including information extraction, entity resolution, graph-based embedding/prediction, and search. This role will involve leveraging state-of-the-art models for these tasks, as well as developing new methods to derive actionable data for scientists. This is an exciting role that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold, to solve novel R&D problems and have the potential to directly impact the lives of patients living with disease. We have impressive toolkits and world class data, and we are now looking for talented people to join us.
Competitive candidates will have a solid knowledge and experience in machine learning. They should be capable to design, implement and iterate on AI/ML algorithms by quickly learning new models and analyzing the results. Graduate level of education or professional work experiences on NLP, knowledge representation, especially in the biomedical domains are strongly preferred.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, we'd like you to be able to:
- Partner with our NLP team and various data/computing platform teams to construct a knowledge graph of biological, chemical, and medical concepts, representing scientific literature and internal/external experimental findings
- Implement cutting-edge algorithms for inferring likely connections in the knowledge graph for downstream experimental validation
- Design and implement a framework for evaluating the quality and downstream impact of different algorithms for inferring new relationships in the biomedical knowledge graph
- Devise systems for leveraging knowledge graph information within biomedical machine learning problems
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Masters Degree or PhD in computer science, machine learning, data science or related fields, with knowledge and experience on knowledge representation.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages, including Python, and knowledge of fundamental software engineering principles and NLP/machine learning design patterns.
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, or Keras.
- The ability to extract insights from data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Refereed publications in premiere NLP, ML, and/or bioinformatics venues in one or more areas related to information extraction and/or knowledge representation.
- Knowledge of distributed learning, big data and related frameworks such as Spark, Kafka.
- Familiarity with biomedical terminology and ontologies (e.g. UMLS Metathesaurus, OMIM), and biomedical datasets such as DrugBanks, GO.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change. Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top