Site Name: USA - California - San Francisco, USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence, USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge
Posted Date: May 24 2021
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop transformational medicines using the power of genetics, functional genomics, and machine learning. AI will also play a role in how we diagnose and use medicines to enable everyone to do more feel better and live longer. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and AI.
The AI/ML Cell Imaging Team applies advances in machine learning and AI methodologies to high-dimensional imaging readouts of high-throughput screens. Cell images obtained using fluorescent probes contain morphological information that can provide biological insights at scale. Our team builds products that aim to extract these insights from massive internal datasets of high-content microscopy images for applications at various stages of the drug discovery pipeline. This is an exciting opportunity at the intersection of computer vision and life sciences.
We're looking for a highly skilled AI/ML Engineer to join our team. As an AI/ML Engineer in this role, you will:
- Carry out product-driven research on novel machine learning methods to analyze terabytes of internal high-content imaging data.
- Design approaches to deconvolve real biological signals from nuisance factors that are inherent in high-throughput biological data.
- Leverage internal high-performance computing systems to train and productionize our models at scale.
- Work closely with domain experts on cross-disciplinary teams to generate actionable insights that impact target identification, hit identification and safety testing.
- Contribute to our developing codebase with well-tested, production-ready code.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills:
- Graduate studies in Computer Science or Applied Math, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history. Candidates with graduate studies in CS and biological sciences or equivalent work history will be highly competitive.
- Experienced in machine learning and software engineering best practices with advanced skills in Python and/or C++.
- Experienced with working in a collaborative CI/CD software development environment, including use of git, peer code review and independent authorship of well tested, easily maintained, scalable, and documented code.
- Experienced with developing, troubleshooting, and validating deep learning models for diverse computer vision tasks (e.g. segmentation, recognition, classification, domain adaptation) using PyTorch, TensorFlow, or other deep learning frameworks.
- Experienced with one or more open-source computer vision libraries such as Pillow, scikit-image, and OpenCV.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experienced in working with high-content imaging data.
- Knowledge in disease biology, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- Track record of writing software in a team in industrial environments or open-source projects.
- Track record of projects or peer-reviewed publications at the intersection of computer vision and life sciences.
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high-quality production code.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.