Technical Lead (Data Engineering)
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 20+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 125,000 restaurants in 2,400 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub Big data platforms are cutting edge and built primarily around a few core technologies including AWS EMR, Hive, Cassandra, S3 and Redshift for data storage. Apache Spark, python and Scala for data processing, Presto query engine and Azkaban for workflow management. You will also be interacting with several other technologies in the ecosystem primarily from acquisitions, partners or affiliates including Mysql, Postgress, SQL Server, Salesforce etc.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Understanding how ETL functions across multiple business verticals.
- Build tools to understand how data is flowing throughout our data pipelines
- Take data oriented projects from start to finish, including requirements, scope, architecture, development, releases and maintenance
- Drive code quality throughout the data teams and be an ambassador for the craft of development.
- Design best practices for big data processing throughout the company
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way
- Working with high volumes of data to efficiently process and expose for analysis
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute
You Should Have
- 2+ years in a leadership/management capacity or 5+ years experience with leadership responsibilities in a technology team (stakeholder communication, project management, mentoring junior members, code reviews, etc)
- 10+ years experience with Python or another general purpose programming language
- SQL is virtually as effortless as your native spoken language
- Expertise with big data toolsets. Bonus if it include Spark, Python, Hive.
- Background in ETL and data processing, know how to transform data to meet business goals
- Experience running agile projects
- Excellent communication, adaptability and collaborative skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Back to top