Technical Lead - Carting Services
- New York, NY
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms, and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
As the Technical Lead of the Carting team, you will be responsible for the system at the heart of GrubHub ordering platform that handles 100’s of millions of requests and millions of orders each week. This system drives ordering, validation, and checkout across our internal and external diner UIs and provides 5 9’s of reliability even under peak loads of 1000’s of orders per minute. You will work with other technical leaders to perfect event-driven architectures, high concurrency, low latency applications, and decoupled, multi-region distributed systems. Your team will ensure that menus, fulfillment information, carts, and diners are managed efficiently, accurately, and effectively.
The Impact You Will Make
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Collaborate with product and business leaders to determine the roadmap and deliverables for the diner order management suite of services
- Contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. Be a leader within your team and the organization
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable applications (web applications and distributed systems preferred)
- 2+ years of experience leading, coaching and mentoring software engineers
- Experience with high throughput e-commerce applications
- Provides mentorship and coaching on career growth and development in a formal setting
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, multi-threaded, and performant software
- You have experience with AWS or similar cloud-based offerings
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- You have familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- You have familiarity or experience with event-driven architectures
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email email@example.com.
Back to top