Systems Engineer - Core Services
- New York, NY
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About Core Services
The Core Services Group is approximately 85 engineers working across the globe. The organization drives the heart of the Grubhub Platform - everything from building your order, checking out, and shepherding your order through our fulfillment process. In addition, the Core Services Group frequently engages in high-visibility strategic projects, internally known as initiatives, that span the Grubhub platform. For us time to market and architecture of high-performance, self-healing systems is everything.
About the Role
At Grubhub, we’re continually looking to improve and reinvent. We always ask ourselves “If we were to build this system today, how would it work?” You are expected to make suggestions around ideal systems design, resiliency, and speak to pros and cons around design decisions. You should understand when, why, and how to choose a queuing system and what the impact of doing so is on failure modes. You should have a similar interest in the details around our business and users such that you can make educated decisions and recommendations on our products. These skills will be complemented by your well-honed communications skills and ability to navigate complex topics with a crisp and clear focus.
The Impact You Will Make
- Partner with software teams to understand & analyze some of the most interesting aspects of the Grubhub platform:
- Payment Processing. How do we process various payment instruments in a manner that is tolerant to payment processors being unavailable?
- Fraud Assessment. Is the order being paid for by a compromised credit card?
- Restaurant Health. Is this order destined for a restaurant that closed unexpectedly?
- Logistics Health. Is there a snowstorm preventing drivers from delivering food in a timely manner?
- Partner with our product engineers to understand the vision and how we define success. Use this knowledge to make informed design decisions in a manner conducive to evolution.
- Dig into our data-warehouse to make empirical decisions and question assumptions.
- Model current system and data-flow. Partner with software engineering to model future flows. Suggest areas for improved instrumentation and data visibility.
- Understand techniques to integrate systems engineering within an Agile software team. Use this information to suggest appropriate artifacts given project needs.
- Use your top notch communication skills to communicate with our team, as well as business stakeholders, in small and large settings.
What You Bring to the Table
- 3+ years of professional Systems Engineering experience, or experience in similar areas (such as enterprise architecting, technical product management, or modeling and simulation). Experience working with INCOSE is a plus!
- You genuinely thrive in highly-collaborative environments. A critical aspect of this role is the ability to partner with software engineering teams and product teams to yield the best possible results.
- Understanding of distributed systems and complexities within an e-commerce platform operating at high-scale.
- Experience and proficiency in SQL.
- BA/BS in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Economics, Statistics or other technical field or an MS in quantitative discipline (Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field etc) or equivalent experience.
- Nice to have: prior experience designing software-intensive systems or writing software in a modern language (Java, C#, Python, etc.)
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top